PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 1897 Trench Bayonet Lug Question

jim-d
05-21-2016, 07:55
Was there a definitive time or serial number when the stamp "PAT APPL FOR" stopped being used ? Would it be correct on an E6810xx WW1 era trench gun ?
Thank you

Tom Doniphon
05-21-2016, 10:45
Most of the trench guns in that serial number range have the PAT 1918 marked adaptor. But there are some that have the PAT APPL FOR mark. For example, some of the Ivanhoe guns are in the E680xxx range and have PAT APPL FOR marked adaptors.

scosgt
05-21-2016, 05:13
However Winchester was not concerned with future collectors with OCD when they built the guns. They were made, thrown into bins, and taken out and assembled to guns as needed. Either is correct.

Dave L
05-21-2016, 06:23
Most of the trench guns in that serial number range have the PAT 1918 marked adaptor. But there are some that have the PAT APPL FOR mark. For example, some of the Ivanhoe guns are in the E680xxx range and have PAT APPL FOR marked adaptors.

Keep in mind that all the Ivanhoe guns had there handguards removed at one time and thrown in a pile.

Tom Doniphon
05-21-2016, 07:22
Keep in mind that all the Ivanhoe guns had there handguards removed at one time and thrown in a pile.

Dave, I remember hearing that too. Many of the Ivanhoes I've seen show evidence of the adaptor being removed. But I've seen a couple that looked like they hadn't been touched.

What or who was the source of that info that all of the Ivanhoes had the adaptors removed? Was it from the Richmond PD?

Thanks, TD