PDA

View Full Version : WB marked trench gun stock question

Danny235
05-10-2016, 07:48
Canfield's book shows the WB to the left of the cannons on the early WW2 trench gun stock.
I have also seen photos on the Internet of the WB placed over them,are they correct or fake.

Tom Doniphon
05-11-2016, 10:53
Would need to see the marks to determine if they are fake or not. But I have seen original markings, particularly on firearms such as M1 Garands, where the Ordnance mark was stamped to the left of the cartouche instead of the other way around as found on most Garands. So, one mark stamped on top of another could be real, but as I said, we would need to see the actual marks to determine if they are original or fake. Do you have any photos of the marks?

Danny235
05-11-2016, 04:37
I have no photos,if you do a search on the Internet you will see them,besides I know what originals look like having owned a few original model 12 GHD marked trench guns,it is the placement of the WB,in Canfields book they are to the left of the cannons but in some photos of early WW2 model 97's they are shown on top of the cannons like on GHD guns.
Were these initials also placed on top or only to the left,the ones I see pictured look good but the they are not placed the same as in the book.

Tom Doniphon
05-11-2016, 07:09
Most often, the Ordnance mark is found underneath the inspector's mark.

I have only seen a handful of WW2 Military Model 97s that had the Ordnance mark to the right of the cartouche rather than underneath it. They were all early production guns. Two of them were riot guns and two were trench guns.