PDA

View Full Version : 1918 SMLE Mk III* stockbolt lug

DaveL
04-29-2016, 01:44
I just picked up a 1918 SMLE Mk III* and I need some expert advice.
When I disassembled it to repair stock cracks and to install missing springs and the barrel rest, I also found that the rear stock spring and washer were missing. Whoever lost the spring ground down the square end of the stock bolt. I assume because without the washer and spring, the bolt was too long and he couldn't tighten the stock.
So I have a stock bolt that doesn't protrude beyond the receiver after installing the proper spring and washer. That means it doesn't protrude into the slot in the lower fore-stock where the metal reinforced slot is.
My question is two-fold.
First, Is the stock bolt, middle barrel band spring and the front barrel rest and spring, part of an adjustable barrel tension system? OR do you just tighten down the middle barrel band?
Second, If that's what it is, does it matter that the rear stock bolt is short? Would that affect the barrel tension, if in fact that's part of a barrel tension system?
If that's not the case, is there any reason I shouldn't shoot the rifle with a short rear stock bolt?
I know the answer is to install another stock bolt but I don't have one in stock and thought I'd ask you guys about it first. Besides, I'm really curious about using springs to control the barrel tension on this rifle. If that's what they're for after all.
TIA
DaveL

JB White
04-30-2016, 06:41
If your stock has a small S on the underside of the butt then it's an official modification. There may be a No4 type spring washer stuck inside the hole. (can be fished out with a piece of hangar wire with a small sharp hook on one end) If not you can always add one. So, you do not need a new stock bolt.

I think you're also asking about the "voodoo screw"? Lots of answers according to others opinions about barrel tuning. Just snug it down.