PDA

View Full Version : BSA Mk I***

Darreld Walton
04-28-2016, 06:38
Went over to the other side of the valley yesterday, stopped into one of the gun shops there, and the owner, knowing I'm a sucker for projects, hands me a 1906 dated BSA, Sht. LE, I***.

Original serial number was lined out, and "ER" over a new serial number applied to the front receiver ring.

Bolt still has the sliding charger guide installed, the forward volley sight is still in the (shortened) forend, but the rear is missing, as is the magazine cutoff. The barrel mounted rear sight is ramped, and has what appears to be "fine" windage and elevation adjustment screws in the sight leaf, and on the gross adjustment bar, the divots are filled with wood, or some form of early plastic.

There is a disc installed in the buttstock, but it is blank. I removed it, and it appears that there were some markings on that side, but they've been mostly removed.

When I did a search on this thing, I got a link to a thread from three or four years ago describing one of these, and am I to understand that the new s/n would indicate that the rifle spent some time in Ireland?

Parts are "sloppy", and by that I mean that this rifle has been "rode hard and put away wet" for many decades. The bore is NASTY.

FTF transaction with the original owner and myself, $75.00 brought it home. The camera's batteries are charging, so no photos at the moment, if anyone is interested....... Thanks.

(after posting I re-read, and is sounds like I'm trying to sell.....not so! Just looking for information at this point, again, Thanks)

RCS
04-28-2016, 07:48
Most of these found in the USA are with a second serial number with the ER or CR prefix (you might find a G prefix too)

These Irish rifles were around at one time but few are found complete now and if in exc condition $600 to $700

I understand the ER prefix rifles are most of the time in original configuration while the CR prefix use a lot of Mark 111
parts35407354083540935410 and wood. Mark 111 wood will work on your project, but nice wood is difficult to find. You can also buy repro
Mark 1 handguards - not cheap. Mark 111 barrel will fit.

I also have a Mark 1*** but rare in the USA without a prefix and second serial number

Darreld Walton
04-28-2016, 08:58
Thanks, CSR! This one definitely has the second serial number with prefix.
At this point, the first 'job' will be to get it checked out, and try and get it back into firing condition. Some "special time" spent with an 8mm bore brush and Hoppe's revealed a pretty nice bore after all. The lands and grooves are sharp and bright, I see no damage there, so next 'chore' will be to get the headspace checked out.
My safety assembly is entirely gone, failed to mention that tidbit, so there's some shopping to do. The buttstock is sound, as is what is left of the forestock.
This rifle is going to be one of those, I'm afraid, that will take a very long time and some serious scrounging to find the right parts. It may end up wearing Mk III 'stuff' in the meantime.
Again, Thanks!

bonnie
04-29-2016, 05:27
This business specializes in parts for old Enfields. Original and reproduction.

http://www.efdrifles.com/index.php

RCS
04-29-2016, 05:38
Try Springfield Sporters for a Mark 1 nose cap and safety parts

Photo of Enfield Mark 1*** 1904 with third serial number35424