PDA

View Full Version : M1917 Parts Interchangeability Problem

Merc
03-28-2016, 12:47
I've asked this question several time within other threads and no one has offered an opinion, so here it is again.

We've been discussing the parts interchangeability problems of the early M1917s that kept them from being sent overseas until early 1918. Winchesters in particular were singled out for parts problems.

I have a Winchester M1917 that was made in November, 1917. Most of the stationary and all of the moving parts in it were made by Eddystone and Remington including the bolt and striker assembly.

So my question is - since my W was a typical mixmaster, what parts interchangeability problem were they talking about? Or better yet, what specific E and R parts don't fit in a W or vice versa? Anyone know?

Merc

JB White
03-28-2016, 02:25
The one I personally noticed is the magazine well from Winchester. I had 11 mixmasters apart at the post for cleaning. The W well wouldn't fit right and that's how I noticed. Had to put it into one of the Winchesters. Other small bits didn't fit like a glove, but I wouldn't call them non-interchangeable. Although if a part was stubborn I reached for another. Bolts I did not mix, but who's to say someone else didn't mix them in the years prior?

Four M1917's of my own (2 W's, 1 E, & 1 R) but they've never been mixed up in a batch of solvent together. They're dancing with what brung 'em since I bought 'em.

Merc
03-28-2016, 02:54
JB,

That reminds me - I replaced the R magazine well in my W rifle with a NOS W magazine well and I noticed that the R well wasn't a tight fit and would fall out when the trigger guard was removed. The W well fits tightly inside the stock and stays there when the trigger guard is removed which is probably how it should fit. Both would be OK to use in my W rifle but I think the W well would be too big for a R rifle. I still have the R well and can compare it to the W well with my digital calipers.

Ok, so there's one!

chuckindenver
03-29-2016, 07:03
said Winchesters are marked with a star in a circle.
i have found,
over sized chambers, barrel indexing issues, bolt fitting issues.

Merc
03-29-2016, 11:27
Chuck,

Bolt fitting is a good issue although the external dimensions must be correct because a complete E bolt fits in my W rifle and it shoots well. But to your point, I tried swapping the striker assembly in the E bolt with a striker assembly from a W bolt but the threads wouldn't start even though they looked identical.

Merc