PDA

View Full Version : The M'17 Winchester shooter

Merc
03-21-2016, 06:53
I added my early (Ser. No. 65030) M'17 Winchester to my collection of military rifles in late January and really enjoyed firing it today for the first time at a 12 inch circular target at 50 yards (oops-edited down from 100 yards) using the lowest possible ladder sight setting and shooting from a rack. (1'll see how well I do at 100 yards next time.).

I fired 7 rounds without compensating for elevation or windage with the ladder sight bottomed out and all bullets hit the target where I was aiming. Not bad for the first time out with a 98 year old battle rifle and shooting the old boy at a target that I could barely see. Nice to see that no adjustments to the front end of the barrel/stock are needed.

So now, the only non-W parts that are still installed on the M'17 W are the E bolt, E bolt stop spring and R bolt stop spring rest.

A lot has been written about the parts interchangeability issues that kept the early M'17s from being sent to Europe. Only those made after 1/18 were permitted which probably accounts for the like-new condition of my M'17 that was made in November, 1917.

I therefore find it really interesting that nearly every major part in my M'17 W was stamped either E or R when I bought it. All these "foreign" parts fit and worked well.

The only non-interchangeable part I've found so far was the striker assembly from a W bolt that would not thread into an E bolt body for some reason.

Has anyone had similar parts issue encounters?

Merc

pickax
03-24-2016, 04:39
Glad your rifle is shooting well for you. Since you are correcting all parts, I would make one suggestion, if you have not already, to purchase C.S. Ferris book
'United states rifle model of 1917'.
The interchangeability issues are well covered, along with good history and development of all 3 makers. Price is very reasonable from Amazon.
As an example,Winchester kept excellent serial/date charts on receivers. Yours was born on 11/15/17 and assembled with an 11/17 barrel some time after that.
I too picked up an early Winchester (87498) and tried at first using just the internet for research. Lots of good and bad info out there. The book helped pull it all together.
Good luck with the remaining parts!

jaie5070
03-24-2016, 04:39
How do the parts compare to one another? Try checking them with a micrometer. Is it possible that the parts from the W bolt are from a P-14 bolt?

Merc
03-24-2016, 06:12
Pickax - I bought the Ferris book a few weeks ago and it is valuable for collectors like us. Everything I need is going to be a challange to find.

Jaie - I returned the W bolt to the eBay seller because it wouldn't head space in my M1917 however, you make an interesting point. P-14 parts are stamped with makers marks but shoot the slightly larger .303 British cartridge. Would the P-14 bolt even fit in a M1917?

Merc

pickax
03-27-2016, 01:44
Merc
There were a few parts interchangeable between the P14 and US17 Here is a good downloadable article with a chart toward the end of part 3. It's a good read overall.
http://www.vgca.net/education/TheUKPattern13_14USM1917Historyver09_2014-09-17.pdf