PDA

View Full Version : 1945 Colt finish

valkyrie45
02-24-2016, 08:50
I have a 2.3 range serial numbered colt. The slide and frame do not match in color. The frame has the greenish military parkerizing and the slide is a flat black finish. I wish to either replace the slide or refinish it to better match the frame. Any of you guys have suggestions? I understand this pistol to be a "OG" rebuild and someone must have switched the slide to have a complete colt.

Thank you in advance for any help.

02-25-2016, 03:36
I would look on sleaze bay for a better orig finish slide.

colt thompson
02-25-2016, 06:14
Here's a photo of my 2.3 million range 45 Colt.
The finish is original

Johnny P
02-25-2016, 06:18
On many of the late Colts the slide was not sandblasted before finish and the receiver was. The finish was Parco-Lubrite, and this leaves the slide with a darker appearing finish. Be sure what you have before you buy something for it that really doesn't match.

The top of the receiver was not sandblasted, leaving it the same dark appearing finish. Check to see what it looks like.

valkyrie45
03-02-2016, 07:07
Ok, thank you. I will check the frame before doing anything. After really examining my 1911A1 under various light conditions, it is a lot less green than I described. It looks much more grayish than I described previously. It's appearance is very similar to the colt shown in the second reply. But the slide is strikingly different than the frame and the photo above. It is a flat black, not for sure but don't think it has been sand blasted either. An "O G" is stamped very faintly on the right side of the frame between the rear of the trigger guard and the grip. Is this a rebuild mark as previously thought or something else. I thought all rebuild marks were on the horizontal portion of the frame between the trigger guard and slide.

Johnny P
03-03-2016, 03:58
The OG is normally on the receiver immediately behind the top of trigger. If it is a rebuild I would expect to see a phosphate finish over sandblasting.

Photos sure help.

John HOLBROOK
05-22-2016, 07:09
This is the 1945 Colt that I brought back from Vietnam.