PDA

View Full Version : Michael Petrov mentioned in Sports Afield

Liam
02-21-2016, 10:10
I stopped my subscription to Sports Afield several years ago when it dawned on me that I will probably never hunt the Dark Continent. However, in the mail the other day I received a complimentary issue. On page 30 is an article entitled "Wundhammer's Springfields" by Steven Dodd Hughes. He references the late Michael Petrov throughout and makes note of Petrov's work - "Custom Gun Makers of the 20th Century, Vol. I & II." I recall Mr. Petrov's postings here on CSP and enjoyed learning about these sporter rifles by Wundhammer and others. The 1903 forum here sorely misses his input. If you don't subscribe, but wish to have it anyway, pick it up at a bookstore or order just the one issue. March/April issue. Easy to spot, as it has a close-up of a lion's face on the cover. - Liam

Rick the Librarian
02-21-2016, 12:51
Every time I get a question or email on a sporterized M1903, especially what could be a "early" one, I miss Michael. When I got a Griffen & Howe-modified NRA Sporter a few years ago, he very kindly spent a considerable amount of time on the phone and email walking me through what I bought and also sent me a number of helpful articles. I miss him!

PhillipM
02-21-2016, 10:34
I stopped my subscription to Sports Afield several years ago when it dawned on me that I will probably never hunt the Dark Continent. However, in the mail the other day I received a complimentary issue. On page 30 is an article entitled "Wundhammer's Springfields" by Steven Dodd Hughes. He references the late Michael Petrov throughout and makes note of Petrov's work - "Custom Gun Makers of the 20th Century, Vol. I & II." I recall Mr. Petrov's postings here on CSP and enjoyed learning about these sporter rifles by Wundhammer and others. The 1903 forum here sorely misses his input. If you don't subscribe, but wish to have it anyway, pick it up at a bookstore or order just the one issue. March/April issue. Easy to spot, as it has a close-up of a lion's face on the cover. - Liam

A carpenter friend of mine that specializes in hurricane shutters on the side was given an African hunt on the cheap when one of his customers friends couldn't go. Plains game and then he shot a 5k zebra. I think he spent 10k total, so never say never.