PDA

View Full Version : A1 Birdcage Flashhider: Necessary to Index It?

6kidsdad
02-08-2016, 04:48
Hello all. I think I know the answer, but want to be sure. I installed a birdcage flashhider using the lockwasher supplied on a retro a1 , and the flats do not line up on the top and bottom like my factory built Sp1. I don't think its a problem, but is it necessary to index a birdcage flashhider?

StockDoc
02-08-2016, 07:19
It should have no vents at the bottom to prevent the kicking up of dust when fired in the prone position

gwp
02-08-2016, 08:59
It should have no vents at the bottom to prevent the kicking up of dust when fired in the prone position

That was a change for the M16A2 the vents for the M16A1 were evenly spaced around the flash hider.

Richardrose
02-09-2016, 09:12
Hi, I was a CATM instructor when we first saw the new birdcages, the book said to index with shims . The shims we were told to use peeled from a thick set. We would peel a few and try them until it would index . We did not use a lock washer. This was right out of the A.F.I weapons manual used at the time, 1980.
Rich

langss
04-27-2016, 09:46
If it has the vents all the way around there is no point in trying to index unless you want the flats to line up like you mentioned. In that case you could probably use the newer style Crush Washer, and just tighten until your satisfied with the alignment.

epa223
04-28-2016, 05:57
The A1, as well as the 3 prong and various longer flash hiders for the carbines, were not intended to be indexed. Once you've hit that torque level, stop. The A2 and some other muzzle brakes were meant to be indexed, thus the need for Peel Washers, Crush Washers and Jam Nuts. The A2 still needs torque when using the Peel Washer though.

Major Tom
04-29-2016, 05:17
Beer can aluminum works good as shims! 8-)