PDA

View Full Version : M4 aluminum stock

Allen
01-25-2016, 05:24
Any thoughts on the older aluminum stocks for the carbine/M4? I have one that I was thinking about installing to help with the weight distribution. Was there any drawback to using these other than the added weight and cost to produce?

cnjcomp
01-25-2016, 03:02
Other than them being a little loose on the stock tube nothing except what they are worth.
I've seen them selling for several hundred dollars at the gun shows.

epa223
01-25-2016, 08:11
The aluminum stocks really are more of a retro item now. My Colt (mil-spec) stock is a much tighter fit on the buffer tube than my commercial stocks. As far as weight goes, my '80s plastic stock body and latch weighed in at about 5 ounces and my '70s aluminum stock weighed in at about 10 ounces. Although carbines look a bit odd with full stocks, they do make for a very balanced rifle. Also, if you did install an aluminum stock, you may get even better results by adding a "heavy" buffer. I'm not sure what the actual weight difference is between them but I believe there are 3 different weights.

PhillipM
01-25-2016, 08:37
I'm not familiar with them, but if the cheek piece is aluminum, I'd rather not have that on a hot summer day.

Allen
01-26-2016, 05:21
I'm not familiar with them, but if the cheek piece is aluminum, I'd rather not have that on a hot summer day.

Here is a picture of one like I have. Identical to the early plastic models.

Greg
02-22-2016, 06:01
The aluminum ones came standard on the SP-1 carbines Colt was selling around 1980 - 1981.

Allen
02-22-2016, 06:12
Other than them being a little loose on the stock tube nothing except what they are worth.
I've seen them selling for several hundred dollars at the gun shows.

You're right. It's loose on a brand new tube.

Col. Colt
03-01-2016, 09:01
If it's loose, it's possibly because the new tube isn't to the same spec. The alloy one that came on my old Government Carbine fits just about as well as the plastic one on my M4 - no particular looseness or rattles. Haven't tried to switch them, but I'll try to remember to do that. Maybe just tolerances....... CC

BlitzKrieg
08-06-2016, 06:44
The original CAR 15 / XM 177 series had this aluminum butt stock and we used them with great success in Viet Nam. In early 70s , I bought a SP1 Colt CAR 15 clone with same butt stock and it fits well. The current GI stock on M4 is just a cheaper way to make basically the same stock. Either stock is adequate on a combat weapon.

I rather like the Magpul CTR stock on my AR builds. It slides well and tightens up on buffer tube.

I really think the issue on any of these stocks is your end state. Retro CAR15 or current generation M4 or AR flat top carbine build.