PDA

View Full Version : Someone Actually Paid $2700 for this Mongrel?

Ironlip
01-22-2016, 01:32
Is there anything about this dog that is right? Other than the fact that is is an actual Winchester Model 97 shotgun?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=531271407

emmagee1917
01-22-2016, 04:33
Well , he got a fine $300 shotgun there.
Chris

67rebelsst
01-23-2016, 10:07
wow people need to do more research before they go bidding. But the kicker is that in order to get that high more than one person was bidding. I would not want to be the person to break it to them how badly they were burned. Gives the military shotguns a black eye every time I see this. and it encourages more people to hump up some fakes. Love collecting military shotguns and I am up to 14 but the number of guns I look at and call about that are either humped or modified makes me sad to see history destroyed or fakes being passed as original. Like taking a beautiful riot gun and putting a fake heatshield on it cutting the grooves in the barrel throwing away the front sight bead. You can not correct that. Or cutting a training barrel down to riot length. I realize some have been done in the past when the value was not there just another old shotgun still do not like seeing it. I still can not stop collecting these great shotguns always looking for another.

scosgt
01-23-2016, 05:32
That is a very special shotgun. It has the red recoil pad indicating it was issued to a sniper for Desert Storm.

Seriously, look at the winning bidder. His name is "stop bidding" and and he is not rated. Probably made this fake ID to save anyone from making a mistake.

Meanwhile I found a VietNam Ithaca riot. Pics to follow

joem
01-24-2016, 06:17
The only things I see are right is it's a Winchester, everything else is humped.

Johnny P
01-24-2016, 06:50
It never occurred to the buyer that a Model 1897 made in 1916 would not have a WWII acceptance stamp. Col. Waldemar Broberg was in charge of the Hartford Ordnance District from July of 1941 to June of 1942.

robh5
01-27-2016, 06:45
The hand stamped "Pat Pend" on the bayonet lug is comical.