PDA

View Full Version : What model is it

Richardrose
01-16-2016, 09:49
Hi, I have a British .22 that I don't know what model to call it. Its a No 1 mk3 converted to .22. The receiver is marked B 55 FRT ,ser no. A1xx, the barrel is marked BSA and the wrist is marked 1955 Brit crown and a broad arrow. The rifle is in like new condition,great stock condition and the bore like a new penny. Why were they still converting No3s when they had NO 4's available.
Thanks for any help,
Rich

Sunray
01-16-2016, 10:22
Probably a No. 9. The Brits never spent a nickel on anything military they didn't absolutely have to.

Alan De Enfield
01-22-2016, 11:19
Hi, I have a British .22 that I don't know what model to call it. Its a No 1 mk3 converted to .22. The receiver is marked B 55 FRT ,ser no. A1xx, the barrel is marked BSA and the wrist is marked 1955 Brit crown and a broad arrow. The rifle is in like new condition,great stock condition and the bore like a new penny. Why were they still converting No3s when they had NO 4's available.
Thanks for any help,
Rich

Firstly - is it a No1 or a No3 (very different rifles).

If it is a No1 Mk3 converted to .22rf then it becomes a No2 MkIV* (if it was a military conversion),
A lot of conversions were done by civilians and there is a .22rf conversion kit currently for sale on ebay.

The B55 FRT ( should be FTR) is a Factory Thorough Repair ( major overhaul) undertaken by BSA in 1955.

That being the case, if it was converted by BSA it would be marked as a No2 Mk4* - BUT, I believe that is far too late a date for a conversion, and as it is not marked I reckon its a "Civvy" conversion.

John Sukey
03-01-2016, 12:34
Just to add to the confusion. Have a Long Lee with a Morris tube and two bolts. One for center fire and one for rimfire.