PDA

View Full Version : AR Builders ???

Weez556
01-01-2016, 12:22
Building myself a AR lower if I do not have a armors wrench or tool. How can I get proper torque on the buffer tube to the lower ? Could I use a crows foot and TQ wrench ? What would TQ be and straight or at a 90deg angle of TQ wrench with crows foot ? Or should I buy a armors wrench and use TM specs ??? Thanks

Litt'le Lee
01-01-2016, 02:53
Good and snug has always worked for me if you are talking standard stock

epa223
01-01-2016, 08:08
I'm guessing torque would be the same with a crows foot as with a barrel wrench. If I'm thinking right, they are both offset and not directly in line with the tube. I use USGI tools and a crows foot would be essentially the same but without the extra notches for flash hiders and buffer tubes. Also, I believe the torque would be around 35 ft/lbs. but you may want to double check your TM.

Indy
02-02-2016, 06:56
I have built a lot of ARs and never used a wrench on a buffer tube. If you use a wrench, I wouldn't go above approximately 25lbs. If you really torque the tube you could crack the casting.
Indy

Weez556
02-04-2016, 06:44
I will look in my TM also. But do you guys put any thread lock or locktite on buffer tube ? Thanks

Allen
02-04-2016, 07:00
There's a lot of good videos on YouTube on how to assemble the lowers if you need instructions---not much to it.

You can buy a buffer tube wrench on ebay for $5-$7 free shipping. No need to scar your gun up.

epa223
02-04-2016, 08:00
I don't use Loctite on any part of my ARs anymore. When I first got into building, I used to Loctite the gas key screws but now that I'm into "retros" I stake them. I know Colt puts Loctite on the buttstock screws (upper & lower of fixed stocks).

leftyo
02-05-2016, 07:13
you can certainly use loctite, but stick with the blue stuff.

Allen
02-05-2016, 08:06
I used to work in the aircraft industry. Every fastener on a plane has to be secured in some fashion whether it be safety wire, lock washers or whatnot. In some cases such as screws or hex head bolts that were recessed below the surface when tightened the only way to secure it was to use Loctite. We used the red type and it was nearly impossible to remove these screws upon disassembly. Yes, use the blue, it is forgiving. Using the red on clean dry parts may make things permanent.

joem
02-05-2016, 08:39
If you want perminent thee is a product called Loc Tite bearing mount. Applied to clean hot steel it is FOREVER! We used it to lock large bearings inner race to shafts of big electric motors. In some cases the next time it needed bearings the steel would be pulled off the shaft. We cussed the last guy that used it.

tazaroo
04-14-2016, 03:50
No torque on the buffer tube at all.

emmagee1917
04-15-2016, 11:34
On a sliding stock , the buffer tube is screwed in until the buffer retaing plunger is trapped . The nut is torqued to 40 foot pounds . Any wrench or extensions to the torque wrench are set at the 90 degree angle . If it is inline with the handle , it changes the folcum point and screws up the torque measurment .
Chris

BlitzKrieg
04-25-2016, 05:01
There's a lot of good videos on YouTube on how to assemble the lowers if you need instructions---not much to it.You can buy a buffer tube wrench on ebay for $5-$7 free shipping. No need to scar your gun up.

I bought the wrench: arrived in 3 days, and was $6 well spent. I am building 5 lowers up, it pays for itself on first lower. My first lower I did not use a mag block and vise (bought the block for $5 delivered along with wrench) and it was realistically okay...just used a few layers of duct tape over lower so its finish was not marred and put a towel on work bench top as well. So much easier and better with the mag block & vise on second build.

Taping sides of receiver prevents a lot of ugliness. Taping channel locks is very effective for pressing in roll pins .

langss
04-27-2016, 09:20
I have built quite a few and as was mentioned above just snug has not failed yet.