PDA

View Full Version : New Stevens 520-30 and new to trench gun collecting

Friesad
12-31-2015, 10:26
Hello, I recently traded for a Stevens 520-30 trench gun from a family friend and with it gained an interest in military shotguns. In researching the firearm I came across this forum and thought someone maybe able to help me find a correct butt plate. A little back ground on the 520-30 from the previous owner; he purchased it in the early 70's surplus from the Ohio Dept. of Corrections for $40. According to him At that time he was a truck driver and bought it because during the oil crisis of the mid 70's truckers were being shot at and harassed and he wanted some protection. He then used it for years to hunt deer, until he put it in his gun cabinet years ago. Eventually I saw it, bothered him enough about it, and he agreed to trade it to me. I received both the gun and the 1917 bayonet. I field stripped and cleaned everything and all numbers, stock, receiver, and barrel match 63xxx. It has the heat shield and pinkish bayonet lug w/o "S" stamp. All other markings are present, US above trigger, MOD 520-30, (1) P and flaming bomb on left side of receiver and (1) P flaming bomb on right (bolt) side of barrel. The only thing incorrect is an aftermarket butt plate was added. The stock was not cut but the butt plate was lost years ago and I am trying to find an accurate replacement. I ordered one from numrich for a model 520, but it is too large in all dimensions, and no luck so far on eBay or gunbroker. Any suggestions from other enthusiast would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

emmagee1917
12-31-2015, 01:31
As was done at the time , every buttplate was fitted to it's stock . They were never interchangable .
I found an old parts dealer that had about 50 or so takeoffs from people putting rubber pads on . Going through the box , I found one that fitted my gun in size and screw placement , and I consider myself lucky there was one .
That's what you'll have to do or take the oversized one you have and fit it . It will be hard because you don't want to mar the stock's finish , just fit the pad only . It will be a long , many , many put on , mark , remove , grind , replace , repeat ordeal . Any screw up and you'd have to start all over .
Chris

Friesad
12-31-2015, 06:32
Thank you for the advice. I am thinking I will make a cardboard template and take it to some local shows and see if I cannot find a close match or a few as you suggest. I for sure do not not want to tinker with the stock as it is original and never been refinished as far as I can tell.

Cactuskid
01-03-2016, 01:18
Triple K makes a pretty good reproduction that shouldn't take much fitting.

http://vintagegungrips.net/ao-s109.html

67rebelsst
01-10-2016, 06:34
I have a few extras because I went through the same thing with one of my shotguns. Welcome to military shotguns they are fun to collect, but be careful and do your home work there are many who will try and pass a fake for real and some do not know and claim theirs is real and they were burnt in the past and are passing along what they think is real is not. If you want I will look at my extras if you give me your dimensions on your stock.

gpw_42
02-14-2016, 03:56
Another option is http://gungrip.com/stevens-model-520-and-model-620-buttplates.aspx I have had good luck with this vendor in the past. Concur with emmagee1917 about fitting it to your gun - go slow and be patient, you'll like the outcome.

Steve