PDA

View Full Version : Remington 870 Information Request

FLATLOCK
12-24-2015, 07:18
I suppose that this question may be a little off topic , but I'm sure that there are some very knowledgeable 870 fans here . I have an older 870 , and according to Remington , the serial number , and barrel code place the production date at 1967 . It has the standard Wingmaster markings with the original blued finish . It also has the standard walnut checkered stock with the hard plastic but plate , "no rubber recoil pad" . To the point of my question , the barrel is 20" long , but was clearly marked FULL at one time . The FULL marking was neatly peened out , and CYL. restamped below it . This looks to be a factory conversion , but according to Remington , they never did this . I have seen older shotguns that were cut and restamped , such as the WWII era riot guns , but nothing this late . It certainly does not look like a bubba job , but a factory machined restamp . The CYL. marking looks roll stamped , and not individually lettered , just like on another 870 I have with the CYL. marked barrel . It has the bead sight installed , and also looks to be original . Any comments or opinions would be appreciated . THANKS !

scosgt
12-24-2015, 08:05
If the factory states they did not do it, you already have your answer.

dave
12-24-2015, 01:43
If the factory states they did not do it, you already have your answer.

I disagree, sometimes you talk to people who no not what they speak of. But you always get an answer!

scosgt
12-24-2015, 04:53
The barrel may have been sent back by a customer for conversion. It was not sold originally that way.

FLATLOCK
12-24-2015, 05:28
Thanks to you both for your response to my posting ! The barrel may have been sent back to Remington for modification , as this would explain the CYL. marking looking so much like the CYL. marking on my other gun . I have enclosed a link to the auction where I got the gun . There was a photo of the barrel marking posted on the auction , but not very clear . I hope it is clear enough to help you see more of what I am talking about . THANKS AGAIN ! http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=530157065

Sunray
12-26-2015, 09:41
Doesn't take much skill to cut an 870 barrel and stamp over whatever's there. Bubba has a few cousins who do some pretty decent work by hand.
"...stock with the hard plastic..." That'd indicate commercial vs milsurp. Don't think any milsurp would have the ugly polyurethane finish. Mind you, my Wingmaster, purchased BNIB in the early 80's, doesn't have the polyurethane either.

Col. Colt
12-27-2015, 11:29
Since no one at Remington today was probably working on shotgun barrels in 1967, I think it might be hard to say with certainty what Remington did or did not do that far back, particularly for a customer's order. I have seen one like it, and it sure looked like factory work all over. CC