PDA

View Full Version : High Standard "Victor" pistol

Calfed
12-17-2015, 10:29
I've wanted a High Standard target pistol for some time and recently won a "Victor" at an auction ...

http://i.imgur.com/zgbq0eq.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/tuXYWl8.jpg?1

I'm new to HS's, and am wondering if this is one of the better HS target pistols.

Unfortunately in California, there is a list of "Olympic " pistols exempt from the Roster of Approved Handguns. It only has 5 HS's on it, so I was very limited on my choices.

gwp
12-17-2015, 11:02
It looks like you have a earlier HS Victor manufactured in 1972-1973. It should be a good one and it should have a steel rib (1971-1973) on it rather than the later aluminum rib. I used an early Victor for bull-eye competition and also purchased a late model Victor without the take down plunger. Both Victors shot very well. Quite a few High Standard pistols were used for match shooting in the 70s and 80s.

Jim in Salt Lake
12-18-2015, 10:02
I've got a 107 Military, too. Mine is mid 60's vintage. I still use it for indoor NRA gallery leagues and it isn't the only HS on the line. I also see a lot of Rugers, Brownings, as well as some Pardini's and Hammerli's. You did good, you'll enjoy it, they are still good target pistols.

lyman
12-18-2015, 01:50
Victors were the top of the line until the 10X came out,

great pistols,

blackhawknj
12-18-2015, 07:45
Bought mine in 1972, it's the handgun I learned to shoot with.

Jay Johnson
12-19-2015, 02:57
The HS 107-series was the second series to offer the military grip designed to mimic the grip angle of the M1911A1, the 107-series incorporated machining improvements to the hammer spring channel that eliminated the need for a brass plug found on the military grip 106-series pistols at the base of the grips rear heel.

Your serial number, 2,287,xxx, dates it to the first quarter of 1972 and as gwp points out above, it should have a steel vented rib, your Victor appears to have an alloy rib which was incorporated into The Victor to save weight for the 1974 model year at apx. serial number 2,410,000; The Victor's steel and alloy ribs were interchangeable and early models are often found with alloy ribs.

I have over 20 HS pistols in my .22 target pistol collection many with after market target grips, the target grips you have on your pistol are unique and very nicely figured and are a different design than I've seen before.

Calfed
12-19-2015, 09:43
Thanks for all the good feedback, guys. Got this at an online auction and it is supposed to arrive at my FFL on Monday. I'll get a better look at it before it goes in his safe for the 10-day "cooling off" period.

A few posters have noted a frame cracking issue with these and I wonder how widespread the problem is. Anyone ever experienced it?

gwp
12-19-2015, 10:32
Thanks for all the good feedback, guys. Got this at an online auction and it is supposed to arrive at my FFL on Monday. I'll get a better look at it before it goes in his safe for the 10-day "cooling off" period.

A few posters have noted a frame cracking issue with these and I wonder how widespread the problem is. Anyone ever experienced it?
My older Victor had a small piece of the frame missing above a hole. My pistol was checked by a AMU armorer at the 5th Army Matches and he pointed out the missing section of the frame and he said it would not be a problem. He also replaced several springs and reamed some lead out of the chamber.

Calfed
12-19-2015, 05:43
Thanks, gwp.

I'll go over my Victor carefully when it arrives

Calfed
12-22-2015, 11:17
My Victor arrived at my FFL today and I got a look at it before it went into his safe for the obligatory 10-day "cooling off" period.

It actually looks better in person than it does in the pictures. The grip fits my hand perfectly. It is heavier than I expected.

Better pics when I get it out of jail.

gwp
12-23-2015, 10:02
It is heavier than I expected.

The Victor without the under barrel weight balanced better for me when using the standard flat grips. When I switched to a Unique DES 69 with fitted grips I liked more muzzle weight. I slid the weight to the end of the barrel. You will probably like your Victor with or without the barrel weight. The difference is subtle.

Calfed
12-23-2015, 12:16
People on the Rimfire Central Forum have suggested that I replace the recoil spring before firing it. After doing that I'll give it a good work out. :)

lyman
01-07-2016, 08:02
so,,,,

how does it shoot?