PDA

View Full Version : Chopping down a BP rifle barrel...

RED
12-13-2015, 06:10
I have a inexpensive CVA inline .50 caliber black powder "magnum" rifle with a 24 inch barrel. The gun shoots well using 90 grs. 3F Swiss BP, behind a saboted 45 cal. 240gr "Cheapshot."

Question? If I cut the barrel down to 19" to reduce weight, I know it will cut down both velocity and accuracy. That's OK because all I need is minute of deer accuracy out to 75 (or less) yards. Any thoughts, pro or con, would be appreciated.

BTW, I bought the gun at a yard sale for $50.

dave
12-14-2015, 05:42
You will not 'reduce' enough weight to really make a difference but may change 'balance' of the gun. I would leave it as is, they are not that heavy to begin with!

Major Tom
12-14-2015, 09:07
I would recommend a chop saw to cut barrel at 90 degrees. Then use files or coarse sanding paper on a power drill to smooth out cut. Then you will want to bevel the inside of bore. Not a big chore at all.

Sunray
12-14-2015, 09:28
BP needs barrel length for a more complete burn. However, like dave says, you won't lose much weight. And it's absolutely essential to re-crown the barrel if you do cut it. You'll likely have to work up the load again too.

jon_norstog
12-20-2015, 11:21
Red, you probably are not burning all your powder with the 24" barrel even. Cut it down and you'll burn even less. Just for kicks, take your rifle out and fire it over some fresh, crusted snow.

Good luck!

jn