PDA

View Full Version : Rifle No. 5Mk.1

ElWoodman
12-03-2015, 10:55
Late 1980s picked up the 303Brit.Rifle No.5Mk.1, the so called "Jungle Carbine". The most prominent markings are A4524 on the butt socket, bolt, and magazine. I've not taken her apart in recent years, so I can't specify other marks, but it has "fluting"(lightening cuts?) on the 19.5 in.(bolt face to tip of blast deflector) barrel, close to the rec., and "F" marks abound. When I got it, the stock had a high gloss varnish (stripped off long ago) and the finish was all over dark park. I know, pic's would help, but I am a Technosaur. Asking "Do I have a real No.5, or a civillian market mock-up." I know the name "Jungle Carbine" is largely a marketing tool used postwar, and must be amusing to Paras and Commandos who toted them in Europe. Thank you for any info-Semper Fi!

bonnie
12-03-2015, 01:35
F marked indicates Fazakerley made. Rear sight should be a milled sight with maximum yardage 800 yds. also F marked. Original Fazakerley No.5 Mk1 rifles would have the serial number electro penciled on the left side of the receiver with the date of manufacture also. Serial numbers would match on receiver, barrel, bolt, bottom end of wood forestock and bottom of magazine.

Very cool rifles and fun to shoot!

Added info: Royal Ordnance Factory (ROF) Fazakerley.

ElWoodman
12-04-2015, 12:22
SerNo on rear spine of magazine. No electropencil marks(could have been lost to parkerize).800 yd milled rear sight. Must check forestock. Muchas Graciaas-W And yes, VERY fun to shoot ( and make others look at you funny when you let them shoot it! Used to have it scoped-4 range acquaintances; Two with chipped glasses, two with scars! I warned'em about that 3-4 inch eye relief!) BOOM!

Sunray
12-04-2015, 09:42
"Jungle Carbine" is largely an American marketing tool used postwar.
That one sounds legit. None of the Bubba'd rifles have the lightening cuts. They're just No. 4 Rifles with cut barrels and flash hiders.

John Sukey
12-04-2015, 01:03
Some of those "jungle carbines" wound up with the Brits in Norway. I don't think there are any jungles in that country:icon_lol:

mack
12-04-2015, 07:29
I think the No. 5 rifles were available when they were needed and were issued since they were needed.

If you will post your serial number, I can look it up and see if it's a legit for the No. 5 rifle. I have book on these.

ElWoodman
12-07-2015, 09:41
A4524 on bolt handle, lhs buttsocket, and rear spine of magazine. A heavy parkerize job obscured any electropencil marks.