PDA

View Full Version : Colt Reproduction M1861 musket?

M1Riflenut
11-25-2015, 07:24
Anyone have any info on the Colt manufactured reproductions? Dated 1861 on the lockplate, appears very well made, far better than most foreign repros I've seen. What are these worth? Looking to buy one to use as a shooter, it's tagged at $899 firm without the bayonet or original box, if they came with one. I have been unable to find anything on an internet search or any that have sold on GunBroker. Curious when they were made, how many made and what one would sell for. I found a few videos on YouTube but none have much info other than showing it with a matching repro bayonet.
Thanks,
Dave

butlersrangers
11-26-2015, 08:15
I had one for a while, but, traded it off a couple of years ago for $750. It was a 'closet queen' I was not planning on using.

They were made in Italy for 'Colt Black Powder Signature Series' and came slid in a very mundane/unmarked cardboard box with brittle Styrofoam box & cover. (Just fuctional packaging for transport and no big deal IMHO). They were available around 1994-2002, IIRC.

I believe the 'Colt Series Special Rifled-Musket' is North-South Skirmish Assoc. approved for competition. They deserve to be used. I think performance and price should be comparable with other Italian reproductions of C.W. rifles like Springfields and Richmond muskets. Quality is decent. They were made under license (not made by Colt), have metric threads, and lock internals, hammer & bolster deviate from original. Buy the gun and not the Colt name.

M1Riflenut
11-26-2015, 02:50
Thanks for the info. I thought Colt made them, guess I was wrong as is the shop owner selling it. :)
I offered $750 and was laughed at. They think they have a gold brick sitting there because it says Colt on it.

butlersrangers
11-26-2015, 10:20
'M1Riflenut' - Your offer of $750 was not silly and their price of $899 is not crazy.

The Model 1861 Special Colt Signature Series was Italian made. It was imported and sold by a Colt 'licensed-subsidiary' (as I understand it) and marketed in 'The Colt Black Powder - Signature Series Catalogs'.

(IIRC - Some of the earlier, "2nd Generation Colt Black Powder Series" handguns were assembled and finished in the USA by Colt, and later by Iver - Johnson for Colt, from Italian parts. The Colt reproduction or 're-issue' Black Powder guns are a complicated story)!

I guess the real issue is what you want.

None of the Italian made C.W. Rifled-Musket replicas are exact and correct in all aspects. But, they are pretty nice and serviceable shooters. ("N.-S.S.A. Approved" is a good plus to look for). Italian made 'Armi San Marco' Enfields seem to be available at around $725. Model 1861 Springfields and Richmond Muskets seem to start at around $825. The replica 1861 Colt is no longer made so its probably hard to find. But, if the current Enfield or Springfield replicas meet your needs and taste, save yourself the added expense of the Italian made 'Colt'.

M1Riflenut
11-27-2015, 06:59
Where is a good place to buy a quality repro Enfield or Springfield? I'm also interested in a flintlock repro like a Brown Bess. Is there anywhere else other than Dixie that sells decent ones? Are the Pedersoli good ones for shooting?

butlersrangers
11-27-2015, 08:05
'M1Riflenut' - (FWIW) - I bet you would get more looks and responses from members who are up to date on CW replicas and vendors if you posed this question as a new thread.

holdover
11-28-2015, 09:17
I have had two of the colt repros, one a 3 band and another converted to a two band by Chattachee (SP) Shot them both at N-SSA 2 band was a tack driver the 3 band was OK. Back when they came out, late 90s or so paid about 500 each for them.

k arga
11-29-2015, 07:17
M1Riflenut,
go to traditional muzzleloading form or American longrifles, you will get all the info you need,

M1Riflenut
11-29-2015, 07:58
Thanks for all the input guys. I've been checking around different forums and websites and I think for now I am going to hold off on the Colt. I'm actually going to see if I can get an Amoskeag copy to go with my originals. I even learned what "defarb" means and may look into that. I'd really like an Amoskeag as I live where they were made in Manchester NH. I have 3 originals but I don't want to risk shooting those as the bores are in poor shape.
I'm also thinking about a flintlock. Always wanted one of those too. Maybe a nice Brown Bess copy? I sold a few more of my M1 Carbines so I have a little funding to play with.

M1Riflenut
11-29-2015, 09:28
Look what I found. Same thing the LGS has except the one I looked at has been used and has some minor pitting around the nipple area.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=527273235

butlersrangers
11-30-2015, 07:59
M1Riflenut - Have you considered getting a reproduction barrel and putting it on one of your Amoskeag rifles for shooting purposes? Gives you the best of all Worlds!

M1Riflenut
11-30-2015, 02:21
M1Riflenut - Have you considered getting a reproduction barrel and putting it on one of your Amoskeag rifles for shooting purposes? Gives you the best of all Worlds!

I had wondered about getting one sleeved if possible, never thought about replacing the barrel with a repro one. Something else to look into!
Thanks again for the advice.
Dave

steved66
12-03-2015, 08:15
I have a Pedersoli Brown Bess. It is pricey but high quality. Fun to shoot. They turn up used from time to time on GB, to save you a few bucks vs. buying a new one.

Emri
12-12-2015, 07:19
I'm also thinking about a flintlock. Always wanted one of those too. Maybe a nice Brown Bess copy? I sold a few more of my M1 Carbines so I have a little funding to play with.

Check out these guys. I don't have any experience with them, but their products look OK and the price is considerably less than others. You would have to drill your own flash hole, but that should not be a big deal. I have watched some of the TV shows that use their flintlocks so I guess they would be good for blanks at least.

http://www.militaryheritage.com/muskets.htm

FWIW,

Emri

JB White
12-13-2015, 05:11
There has been a lot of debate on those India-made "non-gun" copies. Most of what you read is by those only repeating negative comments of others. Between those who actually did use them the debate is closer to 50/50 pro vs. con.
Do your homework.

jonnyo55
02-24-2016, 08:37
I paid $900 for mine a couple of years ago after not being able to find one for any less...they're not exactly common. I liked the Colt name on it, and the wood and level of finish seemed to be a cut above most of the Euro-imports. No Italian proofs, either!

Something I've learned is that the Colt 1861 special musket was actually the British Enfield design modified for US production; there are quite a few differences between it and the M1861 or M1864 US muskets.

If you want to know or buy more, a source you MUST check out is Lodgewood Mfg. in Whitewater, WI. Dave has forgotten more than I know about 19th century American arms, and he always has a nice selection of items for sale. He also offers a complete "de-farbing" service for the more common European imports. I don't have his email handy, but it jumps right up on Google. Enjoy!

Mickey Christian
08-06-2016, 07:25
Suggestion....Having shot both Enfield and Springfields the Spring fields are MUCH more comfortable to shoot.
The Enfield stock is too straight so bangs you cheek pretty hard.

dave
08-09-2016, 08:54
I had one for a while, but, traded it off a couple of years ago for $750. It was a 'closet queen' I was not planning on using.

They were made in Italy for 'Colt Black Powder Signature Series' and came slid in a very mundane/unmarked cardboard box with brittle Styrofoam box & cover. (Just fuctional packaging for transport and no big deal IMHO). They were available around 1994-2002, IIRC.

I believe the 'Colt Series Special Rifled-Musket' is North-South Skirmish Assoc. approved for competition. They deserve to be used. I think performance and price should be comparable with other Italian reproductions of C.W. rifles like Springfields and Richmond muskets. Quality is decent. They were made under license (not made by Colt), have metric threads, and lock internals, hammer & bolster deviate from original. Buy the gun and not the Colt name.

All the Colt Signature series pistols were also made in Italy, without finish or markings. Colt polished, finished and stamped markings on them only. I do not know anything about the rifles but the pistols bring a hefty profit over original cost and are collectable in their own right. Colt probably demanded certain standards from the factory (Uberti?) but they did not retool for a limited run of these old guns!