PDA

View Full Version : US Government property stamp on a 620 trench

colt thompson
11-13-2015, 08:24
I've never seen this stamp before. Is it legit or a fantasy piece?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=521286905

Ironlip
11-13-2015, 09:15
The gun itself may well be legit, but I question the stamps. The Defense Dept. proof stamp, the eagle with the stars, has been in a rectangle every time I've seen it. The US Govt Property stamp again seems questionable, though I feel like I've seen something like that before on a gun I believe to have been the real thing.

The stamps on the wood do seem like they may have some age on them. I suppose that could be accomplished by sanding down the wood, stamping it, sanding lightly and then putting a coat of varnish on.

I'm not being much help am I?

emmagee1917
11-13-2015, 09:20
I have never seen the eagle and stars in a circle on firearms . Never seen the US prop. mark on wood like that either. They say arsonal rebuild and park , but no rebuild stamps are shown . I'm not a post WW2 expert , but was not the eagle & stars new production acceptance stamps ?
Chris

scosgt
11-13-2015, 11:33
The gun has been parked and the adapter is a Winchester, not a Stevens. So no, the gun is not even close to "correct".
Having said that, I did previously see a similar gun with a P proof on the grip. It had clearly been arsenal re-done.

So I have no idea what this gun is. It could be from Nam. But it is certainly not a correct as issued trench.

SPEEDGUNNER
11-13-2015, 05:22
There is a chance that the Stevens 620 received a late Winchester handguard and adaptor during a postwar rebuild, slim, but a chance. However, and it is a BIG however, those stamps on the buttstock are pure fantasy land. Another example of someone taking something that may almost be right and enhancing it in such a way to be sure it will never be right. Most likely a parts gun that never saw a rebuild and the builder added the stock markings to give it that "offical" look that some poor unknowing rube won't be able to resist.