PDA

View Full Version : Thank you for your service. Welcomed or not?

Jeff L
11-05-2015, 12:40
I take the time to thank veterans when I can. Do you welcome this or not? Most of the time it seems appreciated. TIA :icon_salut:

jim-d
11-05-2015, 03:30
It was not the thing to do when I returned in 1969, so yes, whenever I get it today, I do appreciate hearing the words.

Ron James
11-05-2015, 06:45
I'm a very private person, to me it is an minor embarrassment. I don't normalcy even tell people about my military service.

SMOKEY
11-06-2015, 04:39
Thank them for their service even buy their supper once in a while, same for our police, especially our state troopers.

dave
11-06-2015, 06:37
I'm a very private person, to me it is an minor embarrassment. I don't normalcy even tell people about my military service.

Then how do they know? If you wear a "hat" then you are telling the world!

Griff Murphey
11-07-2015, 07:17
I think it's nice to be thanked. When I got back from my military service it was 1976 and people did not care. Most people seemed to think you were a sucker for having done it at all. The first time it happened to me I had a plain M1951 hat on with a tiny 1975 RVN year pin and I was at the 1999 A&M University service (daughter was a student there) for the kids killed in the bonfire collapse. It really surprised me; this was well before it had become customary.

Oyaji
11-07-2015, 10:47
Personally I don't like it. In most cases I find it insincere, shallow, and insulting. Seems like the only folks doing the thanking are those that never served and the only reason they're saying so, is to feel good about themselves and it is the trendy thing to do. You never see vets thanking other vets for serving; they don't need to....a connection already exists between them. If people want to thank me for my service, then the best way they can do that is to drag their asses down to the nearest recruiter and sign an enlistment contract otherwise STFU and leave me alone.

IditarodJoe
11-08-2015, 04:36
On a personal level I agree with Oyaji, but looking the bigger picture it's not about ME. Notwithstanding the fact that for many of the "thankers" it's just a self-serving feel-good gesture, I believe we have a responsibility to support anything that promotes a positive social image for our current military personnel. So I try to be gracious and go along. Besides, I suspect there are some of them who actually mean it.

dave
11-08-2015, 09:49
Personally I don't like it. In most cases I find it insincere, shallow, and insulting. Seems like the only folks doing the thanking are those that never served and the only reason they're saying so, is to feel good about themselves and it is the trendy thing to do. You never see vets thanking other vets for serving; they don't need to....a connection already exists between them. If people want to thank me for my service, then the best way they can do that is to drag their asses down to the nearest recruiter and sign an enlistment contract otherwise STFU and leave me alone.

I have Nam vets thanking me all the time!

Griff Murphey
11-08-2015, 10:05
Almost all the vets on this forum are of the era such that they kinda had to go… either were drafted or volunteered to avoid the draft or thought they WOULD be drafted, wanted to choose their service, go for officer or whatever. So we were mostly without a choice in the matter. For the guys and gals today, it's completely voluntary. In WW2 it was universal, everybody went. Nobody talked about it when it was over. We in the cold war/Vietnam War era have feet in both worlds so its kind of natural that everybody has his own opinion.

Ken The Kanuck
11-08-2015, 12:07
Never having been in military service I have no opinion regarding Jeff's question, but the one of the ways myself and my family thank our vets is to drag our butts down to the local cenotaph on Remembrance Day. Those who I know who do this especially year after year are sincere I believe.

Seeing that Remembrance Day is not very far a way I would like to thank all you veterans for your service.

KTK

High Plaines Doug r
11-08-2015, 02:38
"Thank you for your service." makes me a little uncomfortable. I don't know how to respond other than to say "That was a long time ago." Seems silly to say in return:"Your welcome" and probably unnecessarily rude to say: "I was drafted".
I am much more comfortable with: "Welcome home." but that seems inappropriate to say to those who served stateside. I still say that when I meet or find out someone was deployed and have never met anyone who didn't appreciate the sentiment.

Michaelp
11-14-2015, 03:21
Sometimes I ask what is their excuse for failing to man up and do their own time.
It was an obligation til they ended the draft.
If called, they could keep us 6 years, though usually it was 2 with some inactive reserve time pending.

"Welcome Home" as a slogan, began in 1982 at the 5 day celebration surrounding the dedication of The Wall in DC.
That was when we got the big parade someguys claim they never got. Around 200,000 showed up.
There also were huge parades in New York, Chicago, and other places in those days.
Since we came home individually as opposed to groups, most welcomes were from family and friends.

Andouille
12-11-2015, 05:20
Since we came home individually as opposed to groups, most welcomes were from family and friends.

And not too many of them, in my experience. There was a cartoon in Playboy or maybe New Yorker toward the end of the unpleasantness. Fat old guy wearing a suit and his wife are at supper and the Suit says, "Wonderful news from Viet Nam! It's all over but the shooting." That said it all, from what I experienced.

I'm personally uncomfortable with the late expressions of appreciation but have learned to live with it and have even come to appreciate that somebody thought about it. But I'd just as soon be left the hell alone, to tell you the truth. Forty-odd years too late [fifty and more for some of us], is still, too late.

But I never pass a chance to thank the current crop for their service. They're all volunteers, none of them had to be there. God bless them all.

phil441
12-14-2015, 09:40
"But I never pass a chance to thank the current crop for their service. They're all volunteers, none of them had to be there. God bless them all."

I just hope we can all show them the respect their own government won't.

JohnMOhio
12-17-2015, 09:48
It is interesting to hear all of your responses on the subject. Especially those of you that would appreciate "being left alone." Personally I make it a point when I see someone with a ball cap indicating they served I always introduce myself by first name and say "thank you for your service to our Country." Most of the time they will ask if I served, when and where. Then the fellow will tell me when and where. I have talked to WW2 Vets, those that served in Korea, Nam and the Middle East and the first words were always "thank you!" Many of the WW2 and Korea Vets said I was the first to say thank you for your service etc. The all seemed to appreciate it.

John

fjruple
12-18-2015, 04:38
I always felt uncomfortable with "thank yous for my service" or taking free bees for being a combat veteran. I always tell them they should direct their thanks to the men and women and the families of the those who came home in an aluminum casket. I still remember when my father came home from Vietnam being called a "baby killer." I joined the US Army in 1975 and still also remember not being able to wear my uniform in public for several years. I deeply respect anyone who puts on the uniform. Service to one's country is an honor and privilege.

fjruple

Hap Rocketto
12-18-2015, 12:57
When thanked for my service I simply reply, "Thank you for your support."

phil441
12-18-2015, 07:56
When thanked for my service I simply reply, "Thank you for your support."
Probably the best reply I've heard. Says it all.

blackhawknj
12-18-2015, 08:03
I appreciate the sentiment. I personally don't advertise my veteran status. The Korean War ended on something of a sour note, an armistice and a ceasefire, no formal resolution. I did read a book on the 45th Infantry Division, said when they came back in late 1945 to New York people bought them drinks, etc. Those who didn't see action or stayed Stateside probably felt a little left out.

bombdog
12-19-2015, 02:21
i do my best to offer a word of thanks to my brothers when i notice them... While at wallyworld today thanking the ones i saw, 'BAM', some dude said "thank you for your service sir" After he and i presume his wife walked on, my wife turned and with a smile said, that's a first... She was meaning that she's never heard anyone thank me for my service as i always wear some headgear that would signify my service, which i'm very proud to have done... Honestly, i've never had that from someone I've not said it to first...
Even with all our problems, this is still the greatest country in the ones i've been too to live in...
bombdog, out...

Larry C.
01-04-2016, 05:17
I didn't get thanked back in 1971, and I don't want to be thanked now. I view any "thank you" that I do get from today (when someone finds out that I served in the USMC) as a Political Correctness. I know I went in, and I'm proud of that fact. I don't need their thank you(s). Just put a market on my grave that indicates I was willing to serve my country when needed. Maybe it will influence someone to do the same if needed again.

John Sukey
07-24-2016, 09:30
Too late for Korea and too early for Vietnam, three years army and nearly 30 in the Arizona ANG
I only got one of those "thank you's" and I don't think I deserved it
Only got serious once when we went after Norieaga in Panama.
Now the funny bit. We were in three story barracks. They moved us out and put THREE women in them while the rest of us were put in wooden hooches with air conditioners
The power went out and when it came back on all those air conditioners tries to start at the same time! Sounded just like machine gun fire!:eek:

swede49
06-13-2017, 05:38
I stayed in USAF after VN so I really didn't give much of a s**t one way or the other. Folks were not saying this until long after I retired in the 90's, but I admit it is somewhat embarrassing still. It seems like it is slightly more than just "have a nice day."

It is meaningful when coming from people who have someone currently serving, or has lost someone.

dave
06-18-2017, 07:44
. You never see vets thanking other vets for serving; they don't need to....a connection already exists between them. If people want to thank me for my service, then the best way they can do that is to drag their asses down to the nearest recruiter and sign an enlistment contract otherwise STFU and leave me alone.
Oh, I must disagree! I have vets thank me all the time while wearing a 'hat'. I just reply, 'and you too'. You sound bitter about something?

Liam
06-21-2017, 04:50
Only time I "advertise" being a Vet (besides my 8th ID sticker on my SUV) is when I flash my Virginia DMV-issued military veteran ID card in order to get the 10% off at Home Depot or Lowes. I usually get a "thank you for your service" and I always respond "It was my privilege & honor, but thank you very much."

PWC
04-16-2021, 07:04
I'm uncomfortable with the late thanks. When it started it was a novel "thanks". Now it seems a little trite, EXCEPT for the new kids nack from the middle east and the "-stans". It's timely and true.

How do you say thanks to "thanks"? I just reply to th thanker to rather remember those that couldn't come back. To me that's always timely; not a month goes buy that something triggers a memory of someone.

PWC
01-07-2022, 06:07
In my reply, I've since added "Remember them by voting for those that will honor them".

Surprised looks; yes...mostly lib Dems.

Former Cav
04-09-2024, 01:39
In my reply, I've since added "Remember them by voting for those that will honor them".

Surprised looks; yes...mostly lib Dems.

Thank. that will be my comeback from now on.
I have 3 Purple Hearts and have been "crippled" since then. I've dealt with the scammer v a for far too long. I got harassed out of my first job as a "baby killer". I took it OFF my resume (as a mechanical engineer draftsman etc) in 1972. I got out in Oct 69.
When someone says "thanks for your service" I NEVER feel comfortable about it. If the person saying it is another vet with his ball cap on then that is okay and we chit chat for a while. If it is a total stranger, I run through my mind "is this for real or is this azzhat doing it on their own "guilt trip".? I don't wear any veteran garb or hats. I do have a bumper sticker that is the "electric strawberry ....25th Inf Div patch) on my vehicle. Also got the disabled vet plates because they are FREE for the first time in my life (here in the great state of TX)
When I lived in MN, I had purple heart plates and a state trooper who was a fellow vet in the Vietnam Vets of America club told me to get rid of the plates and I'd quit getting pulled over all the time. This was around 1992 or so. I swapped them out and sure as he11 I quit getting pulled over. He told me most cops in MN figured you were a drunken bum that just came out of the legion and were an easy mark for a DWI.
The thanks are too little and far to late in my opinion.
Just leave me alone and don't screw with my "vets comp" that took me 48 years to get!!!!!!!! (and I didn't get it in MN either!!!)
Glad I left that schiddthole back in 05. I have NO desire to ever go back there and they didn't even honor my Tricare health Ins for all the years I worked and lived there. Skrew them!
As for all the vets here, WELCOME HOME and JOB well DONE! We did our task and the politicians secured DEFEAT from the jaws of VICTORY!!!