PDA

View Full Version : Question for original 1895 Winchester .30-06 owners/shooters

wdodd
10-15-2015, 06:09
Recently aquired a 1895 SRC made in the late 1920s with plans to shoot CMP's HXP surplus in it.
However, a couple of friends advises me not to since the HXP is too "hot" for the old girl.

I don't want to damage her, so I am calling on knowledgeable experts on the forum. Is HXP too "hot"?

If it is, is there any commercial "light" loads that you use?

I do not re-load but may have to learn.

Many thanks for your help!!

Johnny P
10-15-2015, 06:20
If there was any doubt about the HXP being too hot I would not use it. The Model 1895 action was not a really strong action, and if I remember correctly production of the .30-06 '95 was halted when someone fired an 8mm Mauser in one and it blew up.

joem
10-16-2015, 06:25
Learn to reload. It's pretty easy and you can get started for less than $500.00. WARNING; Once you start your hobby will grow and grow.

Nate
10-16-2015, 05:26
Mine is a 30-03 and that round is more like 30-40 Krag. It is the same action and I would never use 06 ammo.

CJCulpeper
10-18-2015, 08:24
Recently aquired a 1895 SRC made in the late 1920s with plans to shoot CMP's HXP surplus in it.
However, a couple of friends advises me not to since the HXP is too "hot" for the old girl.

I don't want to damage her, so I am calling on knowledgeable experts on the forum. Is HXP too "hot"?

More research may be in order. Perhaps you should contact Winchester and see what they have to say.

Johnny P
10-18-2015, 09:38
Mine is a 30-03 and that round is more like 30-40 Krag. It is the same action and I would never use 06 ammo.

The round on the left is a .30-40 Krag, middle round a .30-03, and round on right a .30-06. The .30-40 Krag was considerably smaller than the .30-03 The .30-06 was the .30-03 with a shorter neck and 150 grain bullet. The original loading on the .30-40 Krag was 2000 FPS vs. 2200 FPS for the .30-03, with both using the 220 grain bullet.

It is doubtful that Winchester will recommend ammunition for your rifle not knowing anything about it's condition. They would be more likely to recommend that you not shoot it rather than give you recommended loadings. Liability.

http://i59.tinypic.com/2gtyate.jpg

Tuna
10-18-2015, 09:56
Many of the 1895's have head space problems. It's best to have it checked by a good gunsmith before using it. The quality of the steel is not the best by todays standards so it's best if it is useable to use mild loads in it. I had a 1895 in 30-40 Krag that had an excellent bore but the head space was off by quite a bit. I had a smith check it out and he confirmed that it needed work. He like it so I sold it to him for a bit more then what I had in it. But the point is if the 1895 can stretch in 30-40 Krag then be careful with the 30-06.

Griff Murphey
10-21-2015, 04:07
I have a 1914 built '06 one I was given a decade ago and it has the stretched headspace issue. I get a little primer bulge with the gun. I use my very mild load of 165 gr. bullet and 43 gr. 4895. The metallurgy of the 95 was not equal to the express loads available and people did not know or care, plus additionally many guns were put away uncleaned and have significant pitting. My gun actually looked pitted but was just horrendously dirty. In fact, it's pretty much ok.

My gun has the SR gone, the hole it went in has the tapped screw threads wallowed out, and a Texas star like Texas Rangers' badges carved into the stock. A famous photo shows a company of Texas Rangers all with 1895s, except one "unfortunate" equipped with a Krag. So I like to think mine could have been a Texas Ranger gun. Mine is also missing one rear sight screw, the other is screwed all the way down. I could use one o' them thar screws.

I'd have the headspace checked and then figure out what to do but if you are lucky enough to have one not stretched I certainly would NOT shoot any off the shelf commercial or milsurps ammo in it.

butlersrangers
10-25-2015, 06:26
That famous photo (used by Winchester in an advertisement campaign) was in reality Arizona Rangers. (Their Model 1895 Winchester carbines were probably in .30-40 Army). The misidentification, as "Texas Rangers", lead to a 'mock trial' and 'sentencing' "to be Hanged" for the Winchester Advertising Executive. He received a last minute Pardon from the Arizona Governor.

p.s. I always thought the 'Ranger with the Krag carbine' was pretty cool! (partial view of photo - He's in the middle).

2399Whit
11-22-2015, 05:33
Kind of late here, but.... I have a '95 in 30-40 that dates from 1904. It's tight as a drum. Cases last forever (15 reloads at least). It was put up before smokeless powders had anti-fouling additives and the barrel was loaded with jacket fouling. Took forever, and several bottles of Butches Bore Shine to get it out. Yours is old enough that it could have the same problem. Mine shot pretty bad before the bore cleaned up. That's probably why it got retired. After cleaning it will punch out 2" groups at 100 without a lot of trouble. Check your head space and bore. If it's tight and clean, USGI match ammo should be fine. Hotter loads will eventually pound down the bolt.

Griff Murphey
11-25-2015, 07:55
I would not use anything but very mild loads. GI match will always exhibit primer flow back. I think it is too hot for the old 95's. Yours is '06.

Whit's is .30-40. Much less pressure.

There is a reason the old '06's are stretched out. I am sure they were fired with either Commercial hunting ammo or WW-1 milsurp ammo.

snakehunter
12-03-2015, 07:14

I have the saddle carbine model, which dates to sometime in the 1920s. It's been in my family for most of its life and has been used for deer and bear the whole time. We always shot factory loads in it until the 1980s when we changed to home loads. There have never been any problems with it except it always leaves a slight dent in the case mouth. I don't know what HXP is so I can't speak to that issue but, since you don't now your gun's history, you should have checked by a competent gunsmith before shooting _anything_ in it.

barretcreek
03-06-2016, 03:00
Have one which started out as '06, the bolt face is set back from the primers. I'm getting it TIG welded and will load it to Krag pressures. Bought it from a guy who sent the barrel out to be re-bored, barrel got lost so he sold the action. Then the barrel showed up. So I'll have a .35 Whelen model '95 which I'll load down. The weld will be a lot stronger than the original metal.

Griff Murphey
03-28-2016, 08:14
Ought to be a great brush rifle.

Vern Humphrey
03-29-2016, 02:09
Many of the 1895's have head space problems. It's best to have it checked by a good gunsmith before using it. The quality of the steel is not the best by todays standards so it's best if it is useable to use mild loads in it. I had a 1895 in 30-40 Krag that had an excellent bore but the head space was off by quite a bit. I had a smith check it out and he confirmed that it needed work. He like it so I sold it to him for a bit more then what I had in it. But the point is if the 1895 can stretch in 30-40 Krag then be careful with the 30-06.
The headspace problems are related to both the soft steel and the design. The lugs set back under pressure, causing excessive headspace.

I always wanted a 95 Winchester in .30-06, but the more I learned about them, the more leery of them I became. I settled for a 99 Savage in .308 Winchester.