PDA

View Full Version : CMP Olympic Ind. 30-06 Ammo

jsaviano
09-27-2015, 07:39
Back in 2005 +/- CMP was selling some Olympic 30-06 ammo. I still have about 800 rounds of this ammo. Does anybody know what the "final decision" on this stuff was? I heard that CMP stopped selling it. Is it any good in a M1 or bolt gun? What was the final out come for this stuff. I'm planning to sell it for reloading or shooting in bolt guns. Any thoughts? I don't want to sell it & have somebody get injured because it's crap ammo. TIA

Tuna
09-27-2015, 08:23
You got answers back on Gun Talk.

jsaviano
09-28-2015, 04:28
Thanks all

Major Tom
09-28-2015, 04:30
I only shot that stuff in my bolt gun.

jsaviano
10-01-2015, 04:37
Any problems in a bolt gun?

BlitzKrieg
10-11-2015, 02:58
This on CMP Forum: it may be of value ?

Olympic 3006 M2 ball ammo: the plague

Long before the word got out, I happened to trip upon a stack of cases of Olympic 3006 M2 ball in 20 rd boxes and sold in case lots.
The "Rhetoric" of the vendor is this was commercial stuff , brand new and Greek HXP quality.

This last weekend, as hurricane destroyed any shooting chances, I did an inventory of my "stash" of ammo and discovered this unopened case of Olympic 3006. By now, my thought was the ammo was highly suspect as its general knowledge the stuff is hardly HXP quality.

Took 2 boxes out to the range and shot it out of a 03A3. Inconsistent accuracy at 100 yds. Its hot ammo as well, primers show flattening and beginning pressure signs on primer.

No surprises here: is as crappy as folks reported long after i bought this stuff.

Remarkably, upon examination of base of cases, the rim is out of round. Yeah...it ain't no 360 degree and its got to be just awful for a semi auto rifle to digest.

Its hardly plinking ammo with its shoddy accuracy, definitely not reloadable brass (its also Berdan primed), it stinks like cat urine when you shoot it. I guess if I did not aim and was one of those "blaster" types, I'd find some use for it.

The stuff is a complete bust. If you see any of it, avoid it .

I would sell it and recommend it to North Korea. They deserve this stuff !

jsaviano
10-12-2015, 04:42
Thanks for your comments BlitzKrieg. I have about 800 rounds of this stuff. Got any serious ideas on what to do with it?

DaveL
10-12-2015, 08:43
I suggest pulling it down, use the bullets and powder (reduce the charge weight) and load the components into good boxer primed cases. Then throw away the berdan crap cases. That's what I do with all the cheep 7.63x54r corrosive ammo that's abundant these days.