PDA

View Full Version : proper markings for 1917 mfg by Eddystone

trimmer99
09-25-2015, 08:28
I am considering bidding on an Eddystone in one of the online auctions and want to have it with all parts mfg by Eddystone. All the metal parts seem to be marked with an "e" but the stock at the very tip has an "R" stamped on it. I am assuming that this means the stock would have been a later replacement made by Remmington. Is that correct? Thanks, RB

leftyo
09-26-2015, 12:18
you are correct, the stock is not original to that rifle.

trimmer99
09-26-2015, 05:59
That's what I was afraid of. No longer interested. A shame though as it came with bayonet and sling. Thanks for the help. RB

RC20
10-01-2015, 10:18
you are correct, the stock is not original to that rifle.

You could always buy one like that and do a stock swap with someone else.

On the other hand there are a lot of hidden parts that could be non E and you would have to stipulate condition of sale was they were.

Merc
02-20-2016, 07:16
An all-original m1917 is uncommon unless someone takes the time and spends the money to replace the odd parts with originals. Nearly all are a mixture of parts. The arsenals used whatever was available when they serviced them during or after the war. Converting them back to all original parts can often be done economically depending on what needs replaced. You can find the mechanical parts including stocks on eBay, parts dealers at www.oldguns.net. I have a great looking m1917 Winchester with all original mechanical parts but the flawless stock has a "T" stamped on the front end where you would normally expect to find E, R or W. I could look for another stock with a W but I doubt if I'd ever find an original in this condition. This stock really does make the rifle pop. I'd like to learn who "T" was just to satisfy my own curiosity.