PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on a 520-30 trench gun

Cactuskid
09-22-2015, 03:31
3250632507325083250932510Hello all, Newbie here in need of some advice on a Stevens 520-30 that I picked up on a trade some years ago. The gun is in excellent condition, but the original heat shield was discarded and a multi choke was sweated on to the barrel. Kinda looks like the one in the 1965 American Rifleman ad in Canfield's book. The barrel appears to be uncut and measures exactly 20" from the end of the muzzle. Unfortunately, Bubba cut the original buttstock down and installed a leather boot. I found a 520 riot gun stock to use in the meantime. The finish looks original, but I'm not 100% sure. If it was refinished, they did a hellava nice job. Since the gun is in such good shape, I've decided that I'd like to restore it to it's original trenchie format as much as possible. If I can't find a loose original heat shield, I may get one of the Taylor LLC reproductions until an original can be found. Although I know the riot gun buttstock can be modified to accept a sling swivel, I would prefer to find an original trench gun buttstock. Please take a look at the attached pics. I would very much appreciate your opinions and advice as to whether this would be a worthwhile project. If any of you has any stuff that I need to restore this gun that you'd like to sell, please let me know. Thanks, Richard

Cactuskid
09-22-2015, 03:36
3251132512325133251432515More pics...

SPEEDGUNNER
09-22-2015, 05:56
Hard to tell from pictures if receiver has been refinished. Take a close look at any of the markings on the receiver and the barrel, if it has been refinished there is a good chance they will no longer be sharp. There should be a number on the nose of the buttstock. Does it match receiver and barrel extension? The handguard/bayo lug show up for sale here occasionally, or do a search. Good luck.

Cactuskid
09-22-2015, 07:45
Hard to tell from pictures if receiver has been refinished. Take a close look at any of the markings on the receiver and the barrel, if it has been refinished there is a good chance they will no longer be sharp. There should be a number on the nose of the buttstock. Does it match receiver and barrel extension? The handguard/bayo lug show up for sale here occasionally, or do a search. Good luck.

All the markings look pretty crisp to me. The number on the original cut down buttstock match the gun. The number on the riot gun buttstock isn't even close. Damn shame what Bubba did to the original buttstock.

emmagee1917
09-23-2015, 10:52
Sure it's worthwhile . My pics of mine in a thread below proves it . I bought it for $150 less the heatshield and thinking the butt was cut and a recoil pad added . Turned out the pad was just added on , so finding a matching plate ( out of a guys box of 50 or so ) that didn't have to be fitted for $25 corrected that . I put a spare Winchester guard on it for several years till a gentleman sold me a Stevens one for $300 . It matched the wear closely and is the proper non-S marked one . Heck , it may be the one originally off it . Not likely , but .....possi-bull , possi-bull .
Chris

Cactuskid
09-23-2015, 08:41
Sure it's worthwhile . My pics of mine in a thread below proves it . I bought it for $150 less the heatshield and thinking the butt was cut and a recoil pad added . Turned out the pad was just added on , so finding a matching plate ( out of a guys box of 50 or so ) that didn't have to be fitted for $25 corrected that . I put a spare Winchester guard on it for several years till a gentleman sold me a Stevens one for $300 . It matched the wear closely and is the proper non-S marked one . Heck , it may be the one originally off it . Not likely , but .....possi-bull , possi-bull .
Chris

I hope mine turns out as nice as yours did Chris. I noticed that your gun has a much lower serial number than mine. Would an "S" marked bayonet adapter be correct for mine?

emmagee1917
09-24-2015, 08:55
Contact Bruce Canfield with your number . He's a real nice guy . He did not want to state a cutoff point when I talked to him about mine , but he might say if yours is one or the other as he did mine .
Chris