PDA

View Full Version : S&w 38/44 hd

mp40man
08-25-2015, 01:52
I stumbled upon this a while back in a small gunshop. It's a S&W 38/44 Heavy duty 38 special. It being an N frame, shooting 38 special ammo is like shooting a 22cal. It's an outstanding shooter and quite accurate. Here's a few pics. Rich. 3211432113

joem
08-26-2015, 06:09
WOW! Great find, wish It were mine.

da gimp
08-27-2015, 05:57
it appears to be the original nickle finish... the hammer & trigger are both rightfully color case hardened. Can you list some more detailed & close up pix? Is it matching #'s? barrel flat, butt.. etc? Pay no attention to the assembly number.. it will differ. Wht is the serial# ?
5 screw or 4 screw?

added :

barrel length?,any box, tools. papers, history?

congrats hand.

Art
08-28-2015, 04:21
That's an interesting gun. The nickel does look like it's probably original. The later model service grips look too late for a revolver with that humpback hammer but I could of course be wrong.

The 38/44s were made for the .38 Special High Velocity cartridge which was a precursor to the .357 Magnum. It was sort of an early +P or +P+ load. Back in the late '70s the range officer in my office gave me a box of Remington 158 gr. round nose .38 Special HVs. I still have a couple left. Those things would absolutely clear your sinuses. I shot some through my Model 15 and it didn't seem to hurt it but the muzzle blast and recoil were both fierce.

da gimp
08-28-2015, 06:37
Art is right on the stocks.... my guess is that at least they should sport diamond stocks... If you post detailed pics on the correct board on the:

SmithandWessonforum.com

you'll get answers to any question you might have on this old girl... I'd pick up the correct grips for her if I was you... the fellas there well tell you which ones to get...congrats again.. As Art pointed out, I wouldn't use Plus P ammo in her... I save that for carry/duty pistols only... there is no reason to shoot it thru a collector grade handgun...