PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Model 12 Riot Magazine Tube Malfunction

Ironlip
08-25-2015, 09:12
A while back I decided to shoot my Model 12 riot and trench. On both the magazine tube failed to retain shells. This was true whether the bolt was open or closed. The shells would come right back out as soon as I put them in. Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone know what the fix is?

gwp
08-25-2015, 10:21
Sounds like it is a problem with the cartridge cutoff. It is odd that both shotguns would fail at once. Maybe a good cleaning would help.

Maybe this site will help.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=394536

Ironlip
08-25-2015, 10:42
GWP, thanks for the link to the shotgunworld site. I will look at it more closely tonight.

Agreed that it is odd that both would fail at the same time. This was the first time I had ever tried to fire either shotgun and both were clean. Neither looks like it has seen much use. The trenchgun is nearly new. It made me think it might have something to do with springs that had weakened over 70 years.

gwp
08-25-2015, 11:20
I had a well worn WWII Model 12 riot shotgun that would randomly release extra shells. This was before the internet and I did not want to send it to a gunsmith for repair so I sold it. You could try gently adding a little more bend to the cartridge cutoff using your thumb and fingers.

emmagee1917
08-26-2015, 08:50
Are you using a good , well known , brand of ammo ? Have you used it in these with no problems before ? I'm thinking the rims might be a tad under spec.
Chris

da gimp
09-02-2015, 04:36
wondered on that too Chris...

greenradiodude
09-04-2015, 02:45
Using 2 3/4 shells, right? The Model 12 doesn't use a shell latch, like say an 870, to hold the shells fully in the magazine tube. The base of the loaded
shell is visible and held by the carrier, can be unloaded by simply pressing the carrier towards the bolt.

Hope I'm explaining this in a coherent manner and willing to be corrected.....

Best,
Brian

Ironlip
09-05-2015, 10:00
Thanks for all the good input. Chris, I will find the shells I used. I'm thinking they were Remington, but I'm not sure. This was over a year ago.

Brian, I think I understand what you're saying. I'll let you guys know what I figure out.

emmagee1917
09-08-2015, 10:11
I don't have a model 12 , but I think it holds the rounds like my Stevens does . Look at my 520-30 pics in the thread below this one .
Chris