PDA

View Full Version : 4T scope lens cover question

snipershot1944
08-23-2015, 06:39
All. I could use a bit of advice. I have five sets of leather sniper scope lens covers for the No 32 scopes on my No4t rifles. Four of the sets are normal thin Brit leather. One is different, a thicker leather cover, with a kind of bark finish. I looked in Laidler's book, Law's Canadian sniper book, and Skennerton's book. The only reference I can find is a similar set on a Canadian 4t on page 248 of Skennerton's book. I've shown photos below. The center strap is missing and I can't make out the ink stamp. Anyone have an idea if they are early or late war, Brit or Canadian, postwar, Indian?

David

rayg
08-30-2015, 04:30
Here's one like it that's on my 1944 "T" . The rifle and all accessories are original and matching including, the scope, mount, scope case and chest. Most of the stamp is rubbed off as it rides against the back scope ring and it is hard to make out. As it appears the rifle and all the accessories have been together since day one, it might give good cause to believe the scope covers are British and date at least to 1944. Ray

MJ1
09-04-2015, 07:40
I'm not sure I understand the question. Are they real and collectible or are they a very good user item ? I like covering my rifles between so I like pulling on the leather when there is a wind and a cease fire. There are two styles and any number of makers. The one with the forward loop is originally for the gun scope #54 I think and the belt and post was for the #32 rifle scopes but as they were used up any one at hand was issued. A few years ago a working British armorer found a box with a few of each prompting him to look up some history armorers bible and offer a few lines about it. They appeared to be made of a very high quality leather sewn and fitted out with care. all had become brittle I think I have three or four of each but doubt they are all genuine. I'm no expert on anything but I would like to see the other side of the long strap in natural light and in this condition do the caps fit the scope ? I did see a dozen or more original cap sets at museums and displays from Birmingham to Bisley Most were well preserved and the leather thinned much like my own skin today. Hard waxed too. Interesting post. :headbang:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/montereyjack/4cc835c2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/montereyjack/9574d582.jpg