PDA

View Full Version : Early colt ar15 buffer

GBEAR1
08-13-2015, 05:28
Does any one know what early Colt AR 15 rifle buffers sell for and where to buy them? Im talking the original design used on first and second year production guns. Thanks in advance.

RCS
08-13-2015, 06:47
Numrich had some a few years ago @ $289.00 each

most replaced by 1968 in the military31953

bonnie
08-14-2015, 05:23
GBEAR1,

I have one.
PM me if your interested.

lyman
10-11-2015, 05:34
google search Edgewater buffer,

they pop up on ebay sometimes and over on AR15.com's EE

oldtirediron
12-24-2015, 08:33
I need an Edgewater buffer, if anyone has one for sale--PM me please !

PhillipM
12-25-2015, 06:40
Did this buffer contribute to the jamming problem in Vietnam?

epa223
12-25-2015, 06:43
Numrich is out of the complete buffers but have a few internal parts available. There is at least one on Gunbroker now. Opening bid is $100.

bonnie
12-26-2015, 06:05
I need an Edgewater buffer, if anyone has one for sale--PM me please !

Pm sent.

Andouille
12-27-2015, 05:36
Did this buffer contribute to the jamming problem in Vietnam?

Yes. But it certainly wasn't the only issue (propellant, non-chromed chambers, insufficient/inadequate cleaning equipment/supplies, etc.). You'll find all of that covered in The Black Rifle by Ezell, and Maj. Culver (R.I.P.) has a few things to say about the problems from an infantry company commander's perspective on this very site right here. See "Saga of the M16" at the top of this web page.

oldtirediron
12-29-2015, 09:53
AROUND 1968 the first cleaning rods I ever saw issued were a very flimsy aluminum rod set like an outers rod, Handle was very much like the later handle, a straight rod end knurled-- these rods would break when you tried to dry the bore with the early 556 cotton patch; only way you could pull a patch through was to cut about 1/3 of the patch off of each side of the square patch- The aluminum rod would break the tip off and the rod sections would break in their joints--The unit armorers had piles of rifles with stuck cleaning patch tips, broken rods etc., I remember this SNAFU like it was yesterday, but that is almost 50 years ago !

PhillipM
12-30-2015, 03:45
Yes. But it certainly wasn't the only issue (propellant, non-chromed chambers, insufficient/inadequate cleaning equipment/supplies, etc.). You'll find all of that covered in The Black Rifle by Ezell, and Maj. Culver (R.I.P.) has a few things to say about the problems from an infantry company commander's perspective on this very site right here. See "Saga of the M16" at the top of this web page.

Yes, I've read Major Culver's saga one and two a few times but what specifically causes the Edgewater buffer to contribute to jamming? In other words, why was it changed?

oldtirediron
12-30-2015, 10:31
The light buffer and the change in the powder caused the rifle to fire at a higher rate than it was intended, The light buffer alone, was not the only problem, only a contributing cause--- The un-burnt powder that shot through the gas tube into the action, caused havoc with the gas system, and having a higher rate of fire worsened it- I saw some of the rifles and they were in terrible condition after firing a couple hundred rounds at full auto. The buffer was changed to a heavier buffer (Current Model) which changed the cyclical rate of the rifle (Slower by 150 rds plus a minute), along with correct cleaning procedures, and at first a chromed chamber, then a chromed chamber and bore-- Made the rifle somewhat more reliable, the final fix was making corrections to all the early M16 rifles, and issueing cleaning materials, and even a pocket cleaning instruction card,and I suppose the comic book helped a lot for the ordinary G.I. user !

PhillipM
12-31-2015, 04:48
Dumb question. Why are current AR type rifles so reliable without chrome chambers or bores?

bonnie
12-31-2015, 05:14
Dumb question. Why are current AR type rifles so reliable without chrome chambers or bores?

Good question!

The chrome bore and chamber came into use because it provided high corrosion and rust resistance, and increased the barrel life of military weapons that were used hard and in rough conditions; high humidity, rain, snow, dust, dirt, etc.
I believe the M14 rifle was the first US rifle to use a chrome chamber and bore. Other countries have been using chrome or nitriding for many years. AK47s are chromed, HK G3 rifles barrels were nitrided.

Civilian rifles do not normally experience that kind of hard use. Also a quality made carbon or stainless barrel can usually be slightly more accurate then a chromed barrel because the chroming process is not easily, evenly applied.

oldtirediron
01-01-2016, 02:03
When have you seen anyone using that old LSA Lube in their rifles?? I believe that cottage cheese looking lubricant helped gum up the early m-16 rifles, and powder technology has come a long way- Sure if you shoot Wolf 223, you will know exactly what I mean, that dirty ammunition messes up your rifle in a short time, But if you use US Quality ammunition you can shoot a ton of it and your rifle just needs a quick wipe down, a little light lubricant of any type like break Free serves as a clean and a superb lubricant, nothing like the older lubricants that did not do anything but worsen the problem ! If you have been around for a while other lubricants were around like a lube that had Teflon beads in it, but as the lubricant started to dry out or evaporate the Teflon beads fell off and left your rifle dry ! So today with good ammunition, even without a chrome bore you can probably shoot all day long and have no problem with your platform rifle no matter what it is !

Andouille
01-07-2016, 07:06
Well I tell you what. All the goddam army had available when I was in was LSA, and it worked fine in my experience, then and now. This was after the goddam army had fixed the ammunition and buffer issues and had chrome chambers, but hadn't started chroming bores just yet. I've dallied with some of the modern lubes but hadn't found anything that worked better than LSA, with one exception. The "machine gun" lube sold by LaRue seems to allow less carbon build up. That stuff I believe in, but I'm still using LSA on some of my rifles.

RED
01-10-2016, 08:38
McNamara and the Whiz Kids had a lot of ideas. One of which was (IIRC) was a scope sight made by Bausch & Lomb. it had a fixed, non adjustable reticle. It didn't need one because it would index on the rifle's bore and all of those were the same. Oops! turned out they were not the same, in fact no two were ever the same. I would imagine one of those scopes today would be a valued collector's item.