PDA

View Full Version : MkIII Rear Sight

tklawrence
08-06-2015, 09:37
The rear sight on my MkIII has been 'pinned' with 3 punch marks on the rear sight. This sight has an adjusting screw for windage but will not budge. The rear sight is serialed to the rifle so I don't want to swap it for another. I've looked for replacements but this earlier sight seems to be rather hard to find and I'd prefer to keep this rifle as original as possible. I've run across some 'parts' rifles but they were too high priced and did not have the windage adjustable rear sight.

Is there anyway to return this to a condition that it is again windage adjustable without damaging the sight? I've applied some pressure but I know how easy it is to strip or break a small threaded piece like this so I've been hesitant to apply too much pressure.

This was a sporterized 1912 BSA MkIII that I'm returning to its original configuration. Pictures will follow once its conversion is completed.

seagoatami
08-06-2015, 10:32
dont mess with it , if you do you will break it and/or ruin its collector value . This (if im correct) is set on its battle sites it was done bye the people at the refurbish factory. The british gov said to do it. My mind isnt to sharp any more so I dont get the words I want to say . But this is what I mean sorry if I sound kinda slow lol.

tklawrence
08-06-2015, 11:26
dont mess with it , if you do you will break it and/or ruin its collector value . This (if im correct) is set on its battle sites it was done bye the people at the refurbish factory. The british gov said to do it. My mind isnt to sharp any more so I dont get the words I want to say . But this is what I mean sorry if I sound kinda slow lol.

I'm leaving it as is as the later models didn't have a windage adjustable sight and it's not something soldiers would really mess with in the trenches.

I just like to have things that are supposed to move move and the ones that are supposed to stay in one place stay in one place. This rifle has been FTR'd but retains much of its original parts.

Now off to the 'List of Changes' to see if I can find the reference for doing this to the rear sights...

Don't worry about your words. I'm after information and how I get it is irrelevant as long as I get what I'm looking for.

Thanks