PDA

View Full Version : Hi-Point

dave
07-03-2015, 09:31
Anyone know about these? Local Dunhams has then on sale, 9's, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, for 159.99 (from 179.99). Seems awfully cheap, are they any good at all? Friend is looking at them and asked me. Thanks

dave
07-04-2015, 05:18
Nobody knows nutting, eh?

Art
07-04-2015, 05:58
Ok, I'll bite. While I don't own one it is my understanding that currently manufactured Hi Point firearms are mostly butt ugly but reliable. They won't inspire pride in ownership but can be counted on to work when you pull the trigger. So from what I understand the ones being made now are ok.

Kel Tech is another low priced brand that makes some pretty decent guns; they make a really cool little pistol caliber fold up carbine that I think about buying every now and then except that niche in my inventory is already filled. Our son was thinking about buying one but the BX where he was stationed says the demand for the little rifles is quite high and they are on perpetual backorder.

joem
07-04-2015, 06:48
I have a fugly .45 ACP Hi-Point. It functions well after I cleaned it up and did a little work on the feed ramp. If you run out of ammo it would make a good club. G-- that thing is ugly , but I bought it cheap.

dave
07-04-2015, 12:20
I did not find them any uglier then some of the other black, half plastic pistols selling for 5-600. But I'm an old guy who likes blue steel and wood grips or plastic, if made that way.

PhillipM
07-04-2015, 01:41
I shot a 9mm pistol once and it had the most horrid trigger this side of my bb gun pistol I had as a kid.

I recently read an American Rifleman interview and a couple things stood out.

"Deeb mentioned that firing lead-bullet handloads in the carbine would result in some barrel leading, adding that a few shots with jacketed ammunition would clear it out. I found that to be true."

I have never heard this is a good idea and that it will raise pressure.

"Beyond this, Deeb uses uncommon rifling patterns and makes breech faces that leave readily identifiable markings on fired cartridge cases."

I'm not too sure I like the sound of that.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/5/30/hi-point-firearms-and-the-man-behind-them/

da gimp
07-05-2015, 07:19
it is my understanding that they are reliable... a friend loads his 9mm's mag with 2 rounds less than its stated capacity.... But he's an old RVN vet circa 1965-66... He loaded his M 16 mags that way after the army swapped his M14 for one.....Figure it's old habit for him........It seems to have a very strong recoil spring............It would be my guess that they'd make a good brother-in-law gun, much like SKS's used to be when they sold for between $65.00-110.00........... one that you don't mind lending out...

Ron James
07-09-2015, 01:35
Nobody knows nutting, eh? The Hi Point subject has been talked to death. :icon_wink: There very long threads on the pros and cons. They are blow back action, they are ugly but they work and have a lifetime warranty . That is pretty much every thing in a nut shell.

dave
07-10-2015, 12:41
Well excuse me. I didn't search old threads. Instead of being sarcastic, why didn't you refer me to them to start with? There's one in every crowd!

kcw
07-10-2015, 06:32
One of my fellow gun club members had a 9mm a few years back. He called it his "Planet of the Apes Gun". I shot it any number of times. He had the iron sights set @ 100yds. It could pick clay birds off the berm like nothing, never a miss. I never observed anything negative about the thing.

bruce
07-10-2015, 08:03
Never fired a Hi-Point pistol. Have fired a .40 S&W Hi-Point Carbine. Was expecting ... not much. Was very surprised. Function was 100% using common .40 S&W range ammo bought at the counter. Feeding, firing and ejection were perfect. On target results were very good. Aesthetically is leaves a lot to be desired. But then so did the Marlin Camp gun. But it is a very nice pistol caliber carbine. I was not initially prepared to like it. After shooting and handling it, I changed my mind. I like it. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.

dave
07-11-2015, 07:13
Thanks for the feed back.

PaFrank
08-06-2015, 05:17
My son has a 9mm Hi-point. He has about 900 rounds thru is to far and still hasn't cleaned it. Still functioning perfectly!

It's an ugly POS, but they appear to be pretty indestructible and reliable.