PDA

View Full Version : handguard/adapter screws

sob
07-02-2015, 10:14
Greetings,
I recently acquired a very nice early war Winchester model 12 trenchgun.I believe,through inspection,that this gun is all correct with the exception of the 3 philister head retaining screws for the bayonet/handguard attachment.The screws that are currently installed protrude(the head) ever so slightly from the adapter(this is not the case with my late war model 12 that is parkerized).
I understand that Winchester polished these screws before bluing and this guns condition mandates that the replacements be very good quality,or possibly new -near new.
I have heard that replacements are metric and I want only correct pieces,polished with sharp edges.
A couple of mfg,s told me to send them original screws from my correct later gun and that they could make replacements,But I'm afraid to lose the originals from my correct gun due to handling-mail,etc.
Any and all suggestions or leads will be of great help.
Regards,
Sweet ole' Bill

scosgt
07-02-2015, 10:29
It is an obsolete thread which has not been made in many years and is cost prohibitive to have made.
Best suggestion is that there is a screw from the Garand or M1903, I forget, one of the upper band screws or sling swivel screws, which is the correct screw. I have bought a few a gun shows.

emmagee1917
07-02-2015, 04:13
Might check with these guys . Theirs may fit or , if not , might be able to send you in the right direction.
http://www.partsforantiqueguns.com/index2.html
Chris

SPEEDGUNNER
07-02-2015, 07:31
I believe those screws to be some oddball thread and nigh impossible to match or find. It is a real fine machine thread, with a special type head that you just won't find at your local ACE.You may want to see if a local gunsmith (with skills) can make them for you. Good luck with your search. Let us know how you make out.

scosgt
07-02-2015, 07:33
I don't recall exactly but the thread is something like 6X48 and has not been made since WWII. You will not find it for sale.