PDA

View Full Version : Trapdoor Model 1888 - ejection, rear sight, powder questions

DCRTorr
06-29-2015, 01:09
I just bought a Springfield Model 1888 w/ 1891 mfg. date; this is the first time I've owned a trapdoor Springfield.

The rifle is in nice overall condition, but I've found two minor problems just examining it in my shop.

The first is: the front screw on the Buffington rear sight, when fully tightened, binds the windage pivoting of the sight. I have to loosen it slightly in order to free it up for windage adjustment. It appears that the sight base screw is not exactly right, since it's supposed to tighten down on the fixed base, not the movable base. Do you know how this can be fixed? Do I need another screw, or a thin washer so it will tighten on the fixed base while leaving the movable one free to pivot?

The second problem is: the ejector doesn't eject cases at all, just extracts them a quarter inch or so. Is this a case of a worn-out ejector spring, or possibly missing part(s)?. I removed the breech block and took out the ejector & spring. It appears that the spring is too short so it doesn't provide enough force to eject an empty case. Looking at an exploded view of the rifle online, it shows an "ejector spindle" which my rifle does not have. Could this be causing the problem? Does anyone know where I can get this part?

A third question I have is: I have been loading cast lead bullets in 45-70 for a reproduction Sharps rifle I have, using light loads of Accurate 5744 smokeless powder. I'd prefer to try using this powder in loads for this trapdoor. Some trapdoor aficionados recommend using only black powder in the trapdoor. What is your opinion of powder choice for a trapdoor Springfield?

I would appreciate any info you could give me on these questions.

Dick Hosmer
06-29-2015, 02:06
Sounds like you need a new sight screw, and an ejector spindle - both are available, and not expensive. Go to www.trapdoorcollector.com and see their list of parts suppliers.

As to the powder - there are probably just as many one way as the other. One concern would be that you might some day want to load your Sharps to a level potentially unsafe for the TD, and you would have to guard against mixups.

blackhawknj
06-29-2015, 05:28
Black powder only for my TDs. That 130 year old steel just wasn't meant for smokeless. My $.02.

Mark Daiute
07-04-2015, 05:14
I load both black and smokeless. 22.5 grains of 4759 with either the 405 grain hollow based bullet or the 500 grain government bullet is my pet load.

Happy 4th

Major Tom
07-12-2015, 09:15
Black powder only here. Cleanup is not that strenuous. I do mop the bore after every 5 rounds. When I'm done shooting, at the range I mop with Windex. At home I use boiling water to mop bore, chamber and loading area.

DRAGONFLYDF
07-13-2015, 07:11
Blackpowder only, why risk destroying a 130+ yr old rifle ? it would be a shame for it to have survived this long to have it destroyed by a load of smokeless.

11mm
07-13-2015, 08:04
I load both black and smokeless. 22.5 grains of 4759 with either the 405 grain hollow based bullet or the 500 grain government bullet is my pet load.

Happy 4th

I agree. It's a great load in my rifles. Pretty easy in the shoulder, also. Works just fine in the Shiloh sharps as well and several of the European rifles that were contemporaneous with the trapdoor.. Of course, that's just my opinion and I am not saying that it will work in all rifles. Your mileage may vary.