PDA

View Full Version : Stuck case in sizing die

Major Tom
06-26-2015, 04:47
I have a 223 rifle case firmly stuck in a Lee full lenght sizing die. The decapper pin/rod is stuck too. Short of using a big hammer, what can I do to remove the case?:eusa_wall:

joem
06-26-2015, 05:56
Unscrew the split nut that holds the decap pin and pull the pin out as far as you can. Get a #7 drill and a 1/4X20 tap, drill the primer hole out. Try not to hit the decap pin. if you do just but another decap pin. Tap the hole and get a 1/4X20 threaded rod with nut, a pipe nipple of the size to sit on the rim of the die and washers under the nut to hold it on the nipple. Put the threaded rod through the pipe and screw it into the tapped hole. slowly tighten the nut and it will pull the case out. if you can't pull the decap pin, cut the case head off and remove the decap pin. Wash your die out and lube it before you decap another case. Works for me every time.

psteinmayer
06-26-2015, 07:58
I have a 30-06 that's stuck like that too. I was going to send it to Lee, but I may try that first!

Parashooter
06-26-2015, 08:36
The method described by joem is standard for conventional dies with threaded decapping rods, but isn't what is prescribed by Lee for their F.L. dies. Here's a video from their website (http://leeprecision.net/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/470/14/stuck-case) showing how they do it - with no drilling and tapping needed.

Stuck Case
Posted by Steph @ Lee Precision on 04 December 2011 05:08 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Ylp3fsYrEVw

Tools required:

Heavy hammer
3/16" drift punch
3/4" wrench
1/2" wrench

1) Leave the die in the press for this operation. Loosen, but do not remove the decapper clamp with a 3/4" wrench on the wrench flats on the die body, and a 1/2" wrench on the decapper clamp.

2) Pound on the end of the 3/16" drift punch with a heavy hammer to release the stuck case.

psteinmayer
06-26-2015, 09:36
Yeah, I tried that... exactly as prescribed. Proceeded to bend (slightly) the decapper/mandrel. That case ain't goin no where! I've been told that Lee has fantastic customer service, and if I send it and the die is damaged or they can't extract the case, I'll get a new die in place of the old. Now I don't know if that's true or not... but I'm going to probably send it to them. I already talked to customer service, so they know the situation. We'll see...

Litt'le Lee
06-26-2015, 12:53
You might as well get the stuck case removal set up-you will need it again !!!--cost is under 20 buck's

StockDoc
06-26-2015, 01:16
Unscrew the split nut that holds the decap pin and pull the pin out as far as you can. Get a #7 drill and a 1/4X20 tap, drill the primer hole out. Try not to hit the decap pin. if you do just but another decap pin. Tap the hole and get a 1/4X20 threaded rod with nut, a pipe nipple of the size to sit on the rim of the die and washers under the nut to hold it on the nipple. Put the threaded rod through the pipe and screw it into the tapped hole. slowly tighten the nut and it will pull the case out. if you can't pull the decap pin, cut the case head off and remove the decap pin. Wash your die out and lube it before you decap another case. Works for me every time.

THIS!!!!, you can make your own kit, went in to the LGS to buy the kit, the salesman showed me how to make one myself. Best tool I ever made for reloading

joem
06-26-2015, 01:29
That U tube may work on a pistol case but .30-06 or .308 may not do it. I'll stick to the way I've been doing it for years.

Major Tom
06-26-2015, 01:43
Thanks guys! I wound up rapping the decapper rod a couple good waks and out popped the case. To remove the decapper pin/rod, I hachsawed of the case head and viola success. No damage to die or decapper rod.

Parashooter
06-26-2015, 02:18
I've used both methods many times over nearly 60 years of handloading - usually when experimenting with inadequate case lubes. Also bent a Lee decap rod or two doing it their way (no harm done and easily straightened). When in doubt, use the simplest approach first. If that doesn't work, try another.

dogtag
06-26-2015, 05:40
Yep - A big hammer works - same way as with freeing brake drums.

JOHN COOK
07-29-2015, 11:07
joem's method works exactly as he described. I had a wild cat 25:06 in 1968 (prior to Remington) was necking down 30:06 in a .270 die and jammed one in with out lube. After the .270 I would use 25:06 I had no idea what to do as .270 dies were borrowed. Smith who made my 25:06 made me a puller as joem described and I used it yesterday. Same bolt , pipe nipple and washers.. Every time I use it I think of him. He said he was Pennsylvania Dutch, but I always called him a Kraut. ( Ed Kukelkorn) one hell of a machinist.

john

psteinmayer
07-30-2015, 04:21
I finally got my case out... Purchased a RCBS case puller set. Worked like a charm and the stuck case was freed at last. Had to cut the case neck open to get the sizing/decapping mandrel out, and now I need to order a new one from Lee... but the die is ok.

joem
07-30-2015, 09:50
I also bought one of those and tried it on a Mil spec case .30-06. I tried it on my old Hornady L&L single press. I thought I would bend the handle so I stopped and went back to the old way.

JOHN COOK
07-30-2015, 05:49
[QUOTE]Had to cut the case neck open to get the sizing/decapping mandrel out, and now I need to order a new one from Lee... but the die is ok

I know on my dies the nuts screw off of the sizing die and what you call mandrel. I take that all off pull the shaft(mandrel) down to neck. I then drill/ tap and pull out cartridge , then pull pull shaft up to the neck , place cartridge horizontal in vice and cut of the base of cartridge with Dremel tool. I have never even scratched the shaft or sizing tool..

john

psteinmayer
07-31-2015, 04:14
I also bought one of those and tried it on a Mil spec case .30-06. I tried it on my old Hornady L&L single press. I thought I would bend the handle so I stopped and went back to the old way.

Perhaps you're talking about a different case puller. The one I got includes a drill, tap, screw, allen key, and collet. You screw the die in the press from underneath, drill and tap the primer hole, place the collet over the case and die, and then use the screw to extract the case. No use of the press handle required.

jaie5070
08-08-2015, 03:30
Another thing to try is put the die in your freezer over night. The brass should shrink more than the steel die.