PDA

View Full Version : How frequently do you use your scope......

mdoerner
01-31-2010, 09:41
....to correct for shot placement, especially during the rapid-fire stages? I know everyone "checks their shots" at slowfire for every round fired. What about rapidfire? I usually don't, so I'm firing blind, but I noticed somewhere that you should do it at the mag change. If this is possible, how many of you guys do that?

Mike D

30M1NM
01-31-2010, 11:46
I always check my shots after the reload. I do wait until I have a good reload, and am ready to resume firing. If you do it before the reload, you use time that you may wish you had if there is a problem.

mac

John Kepler
01-31-2010, 02:42
Me too! It's saved my sorry fundament more than once!

Maury Krupp
01-31-2010, 09:53
Sometimes. Usually only at 200 where seeing a .30cal hole is pretty easy.

Mostly to see if my wind guess was right.

At 300 if the mirage is real easy to see that day then I may scope; usually I'll go with the flags or other cues to check for a condition change.

Maury

CMP Shooter
02-02-2010, 07:40
What the guys said above. Once you've done the whole rapid fire process enough times, checking your scope isn't a big deal timewise and can help avoid losing points.

Hard Dog
02-17-2010, 05:43
Sir, FWIW I always check the scope during the mag change in rapids. I'm normally looking to see if conditions have changed but also confirm my original wind call if I can see the shot holes of the first two. When I shot a .30cal seeing the shot holes at 200 was easy, not so with the .22! Even worse at 300. My eyes aren't all that old, but seeing .22cal shot holes at 300yd is all but impossible except for only the best lighting conditions. JMHO, HD.

Mudcat
04-05-2010, 07:30
Sometimes I do, but most times I dont bother, particularly in a sighter match. If the wind picked up or let off, I will, but if I think conditions are consistent and my sighters were dead on, I just hammer all 10. I shoot a bolt gun except for EIC matches and while I still have time left, I would rather make a tiny group than worry about whether I might have had one blow out. Besides, a lot of places I cant see holes anyhow, even with the Kowa. Now, at walk and paste matches, I tend to look if I got a decent background and chances of seeing holes. I also can do so while reloading, which saves time. But, as mentioned, its a good idea to do so AFTER you get a good reload if you tend to have any issues.

John