PDA

View Full Version : Looking for book series

Dick Hosmer
06-13-2015, 07:18
A friend, now deceased, once told me of a series of historic fantasy novels about a Victorian-era English army officer who traveled the world and arranged to meet or interact with just about every historical character of the time. Unfortunately, CRS has set in and I cannot recall the author's name. Help! Thanks in advance.

5MadFarmers
06-13-2015, 08:41
A friend, now deceased, once told me of a series of historic fantasy novels about a Victorian-era English army officer who traveled the world and arranged to meet or interact with just about every historical character of the time. Unfortunately, CRS has set in and I cannot recall the author's name. Help! Thanks in advance.

http://1mpages.com/HistoricalFiction.html

Dick Hosmer
06-13-2015, 08:52
INTERESTING resource - thanks, Joe.

FWIW - it was "The Flashman Papers".

butlersrangers
06-13-2015, 09:24
Dick: The author is George MacDonald Fraser. You would enjoy his "Flashman and the Redskins". Harry Flashman was with Custer and survived the LBH!

(Note - I've read most of the Flashman Books and was quite entertained. However, the last couple I read lacked something and became tedious. My favorite was "Flash at the Charge" (Crimea).

Spoiler Alert - Flashman is a total coward, scoundrel and poltroon (and survives to truthfully tell the whole story). The only 'Flashman' movie adaptation, I am aware of, was the "Royal Flash". The lead character was poorly cast (Malcolm McDowell) and it is the weakest of the Flashman plots.

FWIW - G.M. Fraser did the screen play for the best, IMHO, "Three Musketeers" and "Four Musketeers" movie (1973 version, with Peter York, Oliver Reed, Richard Chamberlain, Raquel Welch, Charlton Heston, and the Great Christopher Lee, as 'Rochefort').

13Echo
06-13-2015, 10:16
Any of Fraser's books are worth reading. Quartered Safe Out Here is his personal story of the Burma campaign in WW II and very well worth reading. The man was a real soldier in one of the nastiest theaters of WW II and his recollections are priceless. He also is very much not PC.

Jerry Liles