PDA

View Full Version : No Swiss 7.5mm reloading info?

Rick the Librarian
06-11-2015, 07:22
I'm starting to reload 7.5mm ammunition for my Swiss K31 rifle and was surprised that nothing was included on this caliber in my Lyman 49th ed. reloading guide. With the large number of Swiss rifles bought and sold over the past decade or so, it was a surprise.

I had to look at the Hodgdon website online to get some suggested "recipes".

Anyone have a reloading guide with DOES have Swiss 7.5mm included?

Parashooter
06-11-2015, 08:02
Here's a comprehensive compilation from published sources - http://theswissriflesdotcommessageboard.yuku.com/topic/9041/75x55-Load-Tables

Bill Wylde
06-11-2015, 08:05
Rick,

I can tell you what cooks in my K31 rifles. With this load, the rifles shoot to point of aim.

Cases are .284 Winchester formed to 7.5X55 and, as I recall, trimmed to length. Load being 42.5 grains of 4320 behind a Sierra 168 International. I recall it being a real surprise that this load shot directly to point of aim and was a MOA shooter while doing it. Have fun..............

Rick the Librarian
06-11-2015, 08:12
I did six cartridges and I'm going to try them today - 35 grains of H335 behind a 150 gr. Sierra bullet with a COL of 2.889.

Parashooter ...saw your link on Gunboards. I have it, thanks!

Sunray
06-11-2015, 11:26
There's lots of 7.5 x 55 Swiss load data on Hodgdon's site, Reloader's Nest, Handloads.com and vihtavuori.com.

Parashooter
06-11-2015, 11:31
In general, spherical powders like H335 are a questionable choice for significantly reduced loads like yours. The reason is that their granule geometry would result in degressive burning, which is corrected by heavy deterrent coatings that can make ignition and burning problematical at low loading densities (your load is about 60%). For low-density loads, we normally expect better performance from tubular powders, especially those of double-base composition where the nitroglycerin content contributes to enhanced ignition/burning and deterrent coatings may be absent or minimal.

JimF
06-11-2015, 11:44
I'm starting to reload 7.5mm ammunition for my Swiss K31 rifle and was surprised that nothing was included on this caliber in my Lyman 49th ed. reloading guide. . . .

I feel your pain, Rick . . . .

Been a handloader for about 58 years now, and used Lyman data many times . . . UNTIL RECENTLY!!

This 49th edition was a tremendous letdown . . . in fact the entire company is a disappointment!

I started to lose confidence in them way back when they curtailed the many, many bullet sizing dies they used to catalog! --Jim

barretcreek
06-11-2015, 12:29
A friend found that his k31 chamber is so big that RUAG and PRVI cases only last one or two loadings, using Hornady data and my Hornady dies. I'm going to try partial sizing and maybe a neck sizer if that works o.k. Not sure if .284 brass is any easier to find than 7.5.

Art
06-11-2015, 01:40
My Hornady Handbook has an extensive section on the 7.5mm Swiss, bullet weights from 130 to 168 gr.

Bill Wylde
06-11-2015, 01:50
Just threw that out there as an alternative, Barretcreek. I had no 7.5 Swiss, but lotsa .284 from the 6.5X.284 dayz. They seemed to work well. The rifle and load completely surprised me. The combo shot very well!

Rick the Librarian
06-11-2015, 05:53
I was fortunate enough to run into quite a few commercial 7.5mm Swiss commercial cases sometime back.

I fired off the 6 rounds and also a few Swiss military rounds and found my handloads to be more accurate. I will keep your comments in mind, Parashooter; I've got some other powder I'll try in the near future which is cylindrical. (too lazy to go and see what it is, but it was featured on one of the links you gave me)

I may also give a Hornaday manual a try.

I'm starting to move beyond reloading for pistol. I was going to do Krag, but I started counting up the boxes I had and decided not to reload! :) Ditto on the M1 Carbine! 1000+ rounds!