PDA

View Full Version : Run up to Camp Perry

CJCulpeper
06-05-2015, 09:48
So how is the tweaking and fine tuning coming along for you guys heading to Camp Perry?

Are there going to be any Krag top ten finishers this year?

psteinmayer
06-05-2015, 01:46
Probably not me... but I know if a friend of mine, Dan, takes his Krag, he'll probably win the whole darn thing! He shot a 294-6X with his Krag in a local match at Kalamazoo MI a month ago or so. Actually, he did it in back to back matches - same score and everything!

My prep is going OK. I'll likely wind up shooting my usual competition round of 220 gr Hornady RN over 40 gr 4350 and a magnum primer. I've tried several other bullet/powder combinations, but my 98 seems to like my 220 gr loads best right now, although I did do fairly well with 165 gr Hornady BTSP bullets in one local match. The jury is still out on it though...

If you are going, Bob Wolfe (Madsenshooter) and I are going to have a Krag muster for squadding on Sunday morning. We hope to have a bunch of Krags squad together this year! I'll put out a reminder thread as we get closer.

CJCulpeper
06-05-2015, 04:25
Probably not me... but I know if a friend of mine, Dan, takes his Krag, he'll probably win the whole darn thing! He shot a 294-6X with his Krag in a local match at Kalamazoo MI a month ago or so. Actually, he did it in back to back matches - same score and everything!

My prep is going OK. I'll likely wind up shooting my usual competition round of 220 gr Hornady RN over 40 gr 4350 and a magnum primer. I've tried several other bullet/powder combinations, but my 98 seems to like my 220 gr loads best right now, although I did do fairly well with 165 gr Hornady BTSP bullets in one local match. The jury is still out on it though...

If you are going, Bob Wolfe (Madsenshooter) and I are going to have a Krag muster for squadding on Sunday morning. We hope to have a bunch of Krags squad together this year! I'll put out a reminder thread as we get closer.

Can't make it this year. Still doing the work thing in Afghanistan. I will get my 1895 Musket up to Turnbull's come deer season and have them put a new barrel on it. Then when I am back for good I will be ready for my first Camp Perry match.

psteinmayer
06-06-2015, 11:37
Sorry you're going to miss this year again, but can't wait to see ya there eventually. We'll keep a spot open for you next year!

madsenshooter
06-06-2015, 03:18
I've found the upper band fit on my parkerized Krag to be critical. I got an unslotted upper band with a nice patina to it, thought it might work better. No, groups enlarged substantially. After my vexing range trip, I gave a little tug up on the end of the barrel while holding the forearm with my fingers, the barrel came out out the channel a tad, made a clicking noise as it did so. Back to the slotted parkerized band.