PDA

View Full Version : 30-06 sabots

Major Tom
06-04-2015, 05:11
I got some plastic sabots in 30 cal. which hold a 22 cal bullet. Has anyone tried this in 30-06?

gwp
06-04-2015, 07:55
Years ago I tried the Remington Accelerator in 30-06. The accelerator loading was more of a high speed novelty than anything of value.

E. Arther Brown has tools to help load the sabots.

http://www.eabco.com/remington-accelerator-sabots.html

DaveL
06-05-2015, 07:56
I also tried Rem Accelerators years ago, although I tried the 308's. At the time I was a avid woodchuck hunter. They weren't even minute of woodchuck beyond 50 yards. That's probably why Remington discontinued them. But they gave me the sabot bug.
So then I thought I could reload sabots and do better than Remington did. I was wrong. I bought 3 different brands of sabots' and went to reloading (for 308's). I tried quite a few powders, a variety of bullets and two twist rates in two different 308s with no joy. Although I will say if you load them to the cast bullet velocities you will get better, but still not good, results. But that kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it? Went back to my Rem. 700 BDL with the Varmint heavy barrel in 22-250 and never looked back. That rifle will shoot one hole groups at 100 yards all day long.
I've also tried sabots in 50 BMG. Tried to use 180, 200 and 220 grain 30 cal. bullets, also with no joy. Could barely get them on paper at 100 yards regardless of what powder charge or bullets I tried. Lots less recoil though. :icon_pirat:
I still like the idea of sabots but have long since given up on them. I hope you have better results than I did. Please let us know if you do. Maybe sabots have changed since I tried them 20 years ago.
HTH
Dave

WHG
06-05-2015, 03:08
I've tried them in the past with about the same accuracy as everyone else is reporting. I called them my "stealth bullets" since the sabot prevented the bullet from getting any rifling marks when it was shot. No marks = no way to trace it back to my gun. Not sure if that's another reason why they aren't that common anymore.

Sunray
06-06-2015, 11:11
The Remington Accelerator was Remington trying to make money by convincing guys to use their deer rifles as varmint rifles. Really bad accuracy. And a ground hog doesn't care what the bullet weight is that kills it. A 220 Silvertip is astounding.

Hefights
06-06-2015, 11:47
This thread ends years of wondering if I missed anything. Thanks

mikld
06-09-2015, 02:14
Several years ago I bought 100 sabots for 30/22 and loaded some for my 30-30 single shot; 50 gr .22 cal. HPBT Sierras (I believe). Couldn't have been any good as I didn't even bother to put the loads in my binder and only shot 10 or so...

Matt Anthony
06-12-2015, 02:51
I bought the entire kit from EAB for my 30 calibers. What a waste of time and money. There is absolutely no accuracy. I know of others who tried them with exactly the same results. Pitiful just pitiful.
Matt