PDA

View Full Version : WWI Notice To Appear For Physical Examination

Jay Johnson
05-29-2015, 03:29
My Great Grandfather's WWI notice to appear for physical examination. Grandpa D, a naturalized American who immigrated from northern Italy in 1898 through Ellis Island and settled in the Napa Valley, California, was inducted into the Army but was never sent to Europe, he served state side on Angel Island in the San Francisco Bay and was honorably discharged in 1919; during WWII he was called upon again and served as a civilian worker at the Mare Island Navel Shipyard. A farmer for most of his life in the Napa Valley, he passed away in 1972, I have the American flag that was draped over his casket which was also draped over my father's casket when he passed in 2000. God bless them both :icon_salut:

Liam
05-29-2015, 04:14
Really neat to have that item in such good shape….and know of the significance. His appearance date is my birthday - only 48 years prior to my birth! Good on you and family for preserving such things. And salute to him, for when he reported, he knew not where he was to end up. Thanks for sharing. - Liam