PDA

View Full Version : Addendum to book?

Mark Daiute
05-29-2015, 02:33
Someone with access to the right firearms and with time on their hands and a good camera should make a pamphlet with good color photos to illustrate some of the key points in 5 Mad Farmer's Book.

Yeah, I know, easy for me to say.

Do you have your copy yet?

coastie
05-30-2015, 03:33
Describe "good camera" for us novices, please.
[yes, I have 5mad's book]

5MadFarmers
05-30-2015, 05:45
Is there something wrong with them online? In color and scaled larger. If you're after something specific now would be a good time to mention it as they're still out but won't be much longer.

Taking pictures of guns themselves isn't that difficult. It's the comparison pictures. Often multiple guns must come apart and one has to be careful that the part goes back where it came from. Specifically I'm thinking of the 1892s. Wasn't real big on taking them apart and taking them apart at the same time is two steps to doing bad things. Very early on I had disassembled an M-1917 and an M-1903 at the same time. Bands were switched when I put them back together. Told myself I should never take more than one gun apart at a time.

So pictures of guns themselves is pretty easy. Comparison pictures require locating the right guns, taking them apart, and then getting them back together. Where that gets sticky is taking pictures of lots of parts as you never really get them together. Comparison pictures of 1892 parts means taking the 1892s apart. Then you need a comparison of the 92, 96, and 98. That means more rifles apart. So put the 1892s back together after doing them and then take one down again for the cross model pics? That doesn't make much sense but the alternative is more and more guns apart at the same time. See the problem? If I owned an indoor football arena it'd be easy. I don't though.

So pictures of guns are easy. Some compare pictures are easy. Some not so much and doing lots of them at the same time even more painful.

Mark Daiute
05-30-2015, 08:49
I'd have to go through the book, again and come up with ideas. Thre were a lot of gray photos. Online is good, thanks. Taking multiples of rare guns apart at the same time, bad idea, you paint a picture of my kind of hell.