PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me how this works ...

dogtag
05-21-2015, 02:11
On Auction Arms is a beautiful S&w revolver with 5" barrel.
It's chambered for 38 S&W. It's a top break, Plus, it has
the usual thumb latch which I assume is to swing out the
cylinder. So how does that work on a top break ?

mhb
05-21-2015, 03:00
On Auction Arms is a beautiful S&w revolver with 5" barrel.
It's chambered for 38 S&W. It's a top break, Plus, it has
the usual thumb latch which I assume is to swing out the
cylinder. So how does that work on a top break ?

but it does work. The earlier S&W topbreak revolvers have a round-ended stud to serve as the pivot point at the center-rear of the cylinder which is fixed, and requires a tapered 'ramp' in the frame to permit closing and opening of the breech.
This stud is not solidly supported in the frame when closed, so can permit the cylinder to be mis-aligned with the barrel due to wear, dirt or mechanical damage.
The break-open frame with thumb latch was an attempt to alleviate the problem: the revolver has the same spring-loaded plunger-type pivot point/axle at the rear of the cylinder as the later side-swing cylinder models, which enters a corresponding pivot hole in the standing breech, and the latch is required to press the plunger forward when opening the revolver, just as in those newer types. In closing the revolver, the plunger is simply pressed forward by contact with the frame.
Apparently not too many of this type were made, and the last of the S&W top break revolvers in the line (the Safety Hammerless) was made without it until production ended, while the side-swing types still employ the same basic design.

mhb - Mike

dogtag
05-21-2015, 05:36
Good Heavens ! It's no wonder only a few were made.
Thanks for the explanation which I did not understand.

mhb
05-22-2015, 07:54
Good Heavens ! It's no wonder only a few were made.
Thanks for the explanation which I did not understand.

just google 'S&W Perfected Model' - I think you will find all the information you can use.

mhb - Mike

PhillipM
05-22-2015, 08:40
I'd never heard of one of these before. Thanks Dogtag, thanks Mike.

Dogtag,

It takes two operations to open the action.

To open a Perfected for loading, you have to lift the conventional top-break barrel catch, then in addition, you must push the thumbpiece (like modern S&W revolvers) to release a center-pin lock, very similar to the lock used on revolvers with side-swing cylinders.

http://www.gun-tests.com/special_reports/handguns/Smith-and-Wesson-Double-Action-Model-10160-1.html#.VV9NBSHBzGc

John Sukey
06-06-2015, 11:16
If you think thats odd, you should see my Merwin & Hulberts!
Loaded like any S&W, BUT to unload, a lever on the frame is disengaged, the barrel is then twisted 90 degrees and then pulled forward, The ejector is fixed and the cylinder is then pulled off the empties!

MJ1
06-09-2015, 08:13
Then imagine this little nightmare. It might have the shortest service of any British sidearm. The military gleefully sent these to the RCMP where it continued to maim and kill more Mounties than bad guys.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/montereyjack/rev03_zps06d1a430.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/montereyjack/rev01_zps4419ce30.jpg

I think I tried to trade it to John twenty years ago for a fair Webley .38/200 tanker. I can still read the hilarity behind his simple, "NO thank you."