PDA

View Full Version : Buhl Military Spotting Scopes?

CPC
05-16-2015, 02:44
Does anyone have a manual or knowledge about Buhl 25x spotting scopes either the S451 or S565 that were issued with the S-451 mount? Trying to figure out how they work. I missed a manual on ebay a while ago and I am having trouble with focus. Looking for assistance as there is not very much info on the web.

Regards,
CC

Herschel
05-16-2015, 06:37
I was on a USAR rifle team that was issued the Buhl scopes. As I recall, they were trouble prone. The metal tags that contained the serial number came off, they had a problem of moisture getting in them. I believe they were focused by means of a knob that was in the swell that contained the eyepiece. That was in the early 1960's and I don't recall having a manual with them. It seems that focusing was a common problem with them.

CPC
05-17-2015, 06:58
Herschel,
Thank you. I am not home now but thought that little knob on the bottom was for adding a gas or something to prevent fogging. Next week I'll give that a try. It is in focus at about 50ft. I thought that adjusting the eye piece might do it but that does not really help much. At least it is a start.

Regards,
CC