PDA

View Full Version : M1903 National Match Stock?

Glynn863
05-10-2015, 03:30
Cross posted in CMP forum as well. You may remember last week when I stated I had acquired a sporterized M1903A4. Last Sunday at church I told a gentleman who is a retired Army Colonel about it, and he said he had a stock for it. He gave the stock to me today, Although it is a C-stock, it is cut only for a M1903. It has a milled band spring, lower sling swivel, and buttplate. It has the stamp A.H.A. on the left side, with S and O in the cutoff recess. The stock nose is unmarked. There is a metal property tag on the left side of the stock, and markings where something, like a tag, used to be on the right side. The underside of the butt has a stamp of D1836. The stock is dirty and dry as a bone because he had it in a storage building. I looked at the J.C. Harrison book I have and it has the characteristics of a M1903A1 National Match Stock. Can you guys verify? Attached is a link to a photobucket album because the pictures are large in size. Thanks for looking.

http://s50.photobucket.com/user/Glynn863/library/M1903%20Springfield%20Armory%20C-Stock

Rick the Librarian
05-10-2015, 05:33
The stock is designed for a M1903A1 but not a National Match. National Match stock (of that time frame) had the rifle's serial number close to the drawing number (D1836). I would guess the stock does date from the 1930s but was used for a service rifle. The AHA probably dates the time the rifle was put together to early WWII.

Glynn863
05-11-2015, 03:57
Updated the photobucket link.

Emri
05-11-2015, 07:48
The stock was made by SA in the late 30's. The A.H.A. looks like someone's handywork. A rebuild mark would be more in line. Those look like individual stamped letters.

FWIW,

Emri

Col. Colt
05-12-2015, 12:11
A very nice, Springfield Armory 1940 C stock! Neat find! Now it needs through oiling and a proper 03 to be mounted in it! As for the stamped letters, they look pretty vintage to me. Regardless, I think most of us would be pleased to have it! CC

Emri
05-12-2015, 05:40
The letter stampings are probably NOT someones handywork. They are probably the inspector's ( unknown ) initials put on when the stock was used to build a late SN Springfield. I don't have Brophy's book right now to look it up, but he mentions several unknown but valid inspection marks. As Col. Colt stated, about 1940.
Shown is a pic of an L.T.T. inspected stock on my late SA. ( 1,5xx,xxx range )

HTH,

Emri

Glynn863
05-12-2015, 03:33
Forgot to mention that the stock bolts are both stamped on the head with "2", and there appears to be a possible stamp between the rear tang bolt hole and the trigger opening cut, as viewed from the top.