PDA

View Full Version : Need help with WIN Mod 12 Riot gun (I think)

jim70739
05-09-2015, 10:30
I came into possession of a barreled receiver with bolt, a magazine tube and action slide with forearm all there. The receiver has a nice U.S. Ordinance bomb stamp, matching numbers on the receiver and barrel extension, barrel stamped 42 but the barrel has no groove cutouts for the heat shield so at best it may have been a riot gun. The receiver is the takedown type not solid. My problem and questions concerns the magazine tube. I have the internals found and installed in the receiver and when I started on the magazine tube end found what looks like a strange combination. The receiver end on the mag tube has quarter pressed threads like the takedown mag tube should be but the muzzle end has one small hole and 180 degrees out a little larger hole like the muzzle end of a solid frame 97. How does the muzzle end of a takedown Mod 12 Riot Gun mag tube actually mount?
I can't find anything written or visual that shows the actual parts.
Can anyone help and advise me?

gwp
05-10-2015, 01:20
This may help.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=394536

ww2imposter
05-10-2015, 12:42
I have the internals found and installed in the receiver and when I started on the magazine tube end found what looks like a strange combination.

Do people not understand the concept of "proofreading". It only takes a few seconds and sure makes it easier to understand.

jim70739
05-10-2015, 02:50
if you have problems with it don't waste your time and mine by acting like you want to help.

jim70739
05-10-2015, 03:09
Thanks for the site. I already know how to break one down but this site makes it easier and simpler.
It does not address my main problem though...
I have a magazine tube that is made on one end for a takedown gun and on the other end is made for a solid gun be it '97 or Mod 12. On a normal Winchester these two things do not occur together. On a trench gun or riot gun I have no idea. I suspect it needs a solid type mag plug with the extension used for a bayonet lug because that is all that will work on the mag tube I have, there are only two holes in it.

scosgt
05-10-2015, 03:32
You need to post a picture.

gwp
05-10-2015, 03:40
I have a commercial 1957 Model 12 riot gun. The mag tube is attached the same as in the site posted. If you are working on a parts gun you may have a replacement mag tube. Some of the replacement mag tubes are unfinished to allow the tube to be drilled for a solid or take-down frame. You may need to drill the mag tube for the magazine locking pin for the take-down parts.

Many Winchester parts are available here.

http://www.nulineguns.com/category_part_0_3_31_42.php

jim70739
05-11-2015, 06:08
It could be a replacement mag tube, I just don't know enough to tell. The muzzle end where the plug goes is already drilled for the solid locking pin, one large hole and 180 degrees out a smaller for the pin end. The other end is not like a solid frame mag tube. The solid frame tubes I have seen are kind of made like a Browning Auto 5 mag tube with a very fine thread with small hole for locking screw tip to hold in place. This one has the larger stamped quarter threads that quick lock. I am trying to find out just what configuration tube a trench gun has and what configuration a riot gun has.

jim70739
05-11-2015, 06:11
Wish I knew how to post pictures, seems like me and modern technology aren't on the same wave length. I can take and send but post looses me quick.