PDA

View Full Version : MkI and MkIII Books

tklawrence
05-08-2015, 11:50
I've only been able to find three books so far on the early Lee-Enfields. I've ordered Pegler's book and I may have Stratton's book in a box somewhere. (I've moved recently and still don't have shelf space for all my books so some will stay boxed until I go through them and decide which ones will see daylight again.) I've read an excerpt of Pegler's book and I get the feeling he's left out or overlooked some information. I'll wait until I get my copy to peruse it further. If I recall, Stratton's book was fairly basic and was limited in its information. Skennerton's book looks impressive but at ~$65 plus shipping is out of my budget for now.

I have two questions: Are there other books on Sht. L.E. MkI and MkIIIs available and is there a source on-line or elsewhere for the LoC?

Regards,

Tom Lawrence

John Sukey
05-08-2015, 03:57
The Lee Enfield Story
Ian Skennerton
Covers all of then
Just a note, it ain't cheap

tklawrence
05-08-2015, 06:31
The Lee Enfield Story
Ian Skennerton
Covers all of then
Just a note, it ain't cheap

Cheap? Does that word exist in this hobby? New for $344 plus shipping, used for about $100. By any chance does it have the LoC?

What about Skennerton's 2007 book: 'The Lee-Enfield: A Century of Lee-Metford and Lee-Enfield Rifled and Carbines'? It's a bit cheaper ($64), about the same number of pages.

I have this knack for finding hobbies that require a significant amount of time and/or money. If it weren't so interesting and fun, I'd pick up knitting to pass the time.

John Sukey
05-11-2015, 04:45
Also by Skennerton
List of Changes
in
British War Material
In relation to
Edged Weapons,Firearms
And
Associated Ammunition And Accoutrements
Volume II 1886-1900
Volume III 1900-1910

tklawrence
05-11-2015, 08:22
LIST OF CHANGES IN BRITISH WAR MATERIAL IN RELATION TO EDGED WEAPONS, FIREARMS AND ASSOCIATED AMMUNITION AND ACCOUTREMENTS [ FOUR VOLUMES] – 1993

Buy Used $168.85 + $3.99 shipping

Used: Very Good

I have found sources for individual Volumes, used, for cheaper. Volumes 3 & 4 would be most beneficial for my needs.

Actually 5 books in this set with the 5th as an index for the 1-4. Hard covers with dust jackets in very nice condition. Basicly as pictured. Publ=-Skennerton by Watson Ferguson & Co.-Brisbane.

Thanks!

Tom

John Sukey
05-18-2015, 07:59
If you are going to collect anything, first buy a book on the subject.