PDA

View Full Version : staked screws?

trimmer99
04-23-2015, 06:09
Pardon my ignorance, but in reading one of the posts here about a like new M1917 I came across a reference to staked screws and am not familiar with the term. Could someone please enlighten me? Thanks, RB

Promo
04-24-2015, 03:13
https://www.google.com/search?q=staked+screw&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X

That illustrates it quite well.

trimmer99
04-24-2015, 11:33
Tried the site listed but only got a bunch of pictures for some type of nutritional supplement. Thanks anyway though. RB

IditarodJoe
04-24-2015, 03:16
RB - In my experience, staking is a method for securing a screw in place so that it will not easily turn. The process, often done at the time a firearm is manufactured, involves using a sharp metal punch to apply a small dimple on or near the interface between a screw and the metal part into which it passes. This causes a slight deformation of the metal that, in turn, interferes with the rotation of the screw.

On US military arms, I've typically seen the staking punch mark on the part itself immediately next to the screw, but under certain conditions it can also be applied to the screw head. Staked screws can usually be removed with a little effort, but once this is done it can be fairly obvious. That's why collectors evaluating an older military rifle will look for original staking as an indication that the rifle hasn't been altered.

Probably not the best technical explanation, but hopefully that answers your question.

dave
04-25-2015, 05:36
The 'staking' is done at the screw driver slot in the screw, not just some random place around the screw. That shows it has been turned. Japanese rifles were most all staked. Collectors go ga-ga over a rifle "which has never been taken apart". On a 50-100 year old rifle I see no big deal with that as it may be a pile of rust under that wood! It was done to prevent troops in the field from removing the screws, not maintenance people.

trimmer99
04-27-2015, 10:32
Dave & Joe, Thanks for the replies. Your explanations were along the lines of what I was suspecting but included how it was done and for what reason. Always good to learn a bit more about these rifles. RB