PDA

View Full Version : US PROPERTY Nm4 Mk1*

bombdog
04-19-2015, 04:16
Hey gents... Been a while since i was here as my comp died and i lost all my forum favorites... Then it took some doing to get my password right... Anyhoo, question... i've come across a Lee no4 mk1*... i know nothing about these Lee's except what i've giggled the last 2 days... Why does this one with all the numbers correct not have a date stamp??? Her sn is 0C44889... She has a slick / no groves rear hand guard also... And from the looks of the bore it's a half smoothbore, lol... If anyone can shed some light on her as well as a round-about worth, i'd be much obliged...
By the way, missed all you guys...
bombdog, out...

tmark
04-19-2015, 08:00
She should have a date stamped on the left side of the receiver or on the left side of the wrist. Probably 1942.

bombdog
04-20-2015, 06:09
Best i can tell, there are no dates... Maybe the one on the wrist wore off??? Really have no idea...
bombdog...

tmark
04-20-2015, 07:47
I have a 1942 Savage marked on the left side of the receiver and a 1943 Savage marked on the the left side of the wrist on that metal band. Unusual your rifle has no date stamped on it. On my latter rifle, the date is stamped just above the sn.

Sunray
04-21-2015, 10:32
Lot of 'em just had no date.
Lowest Mk I* with no date is 51C7693. Highest 0C63110.
0C44889 indicates the 44,889th rifle made. Probably mid to late 1942.
Give the barrel a really good bath and slug it. Sounds like it needs replacing though.

butlersrangers
04-21-2015, 04:02
In regard to the bore on 'bombdog's' Savage No.4 Mk1: Is it possible, his Post was joking about it having two groove rifling? (Most do).

bombdog
04-21-2015, 06:21
No, wait lem'me look again... Just put a bore light in her again, dangest thing I've ever seen... At the muzzle end, one rifle grove at 12:00 and one rifle groove at 6:00... i count 2 grooves cut in her tube... Albatross???
Definitely, no date anywhere, and no groves on rear hand guard...
Keep it going, maybe it is a horse of a different tube... lol...
i'll try and x-pearement with the camera... Ya'll will be the first to see, if i can get them on this tablet, hate this dern thang...
bombdog, out...

butlersrangers
04-22-2015, 09:22
'bombdog': I don't understand the "Albatross???" comment.

Many Savage made No.4 Mk1* Rifles have the two groove rifling. When condition is good, they are known to shoot well. I had a British Maltby made No.4 that had a two groove barrel that shot very well. My Savage, made in 1942, has a 'mint' two groove barrel. (I haven't taken her to the range yet).

bombdog
04-22-2015, 05:37
The albatross, was a mythical bird or something to that effect... Thought it may be a hens tooth, but since you've got a couple, maybe not... Anyway i'm gonna offer the guy 250 and see what develops... i thought that would be good and i can still get her a criterion tube to replace that smoothish bore...
Wish me luck...
bombdog, out...

butlersrangers
04-22-2015, 08:41
Two groove barrels were used on many wartime No.4 Rifles. They are not really rare. (Remington used two groove barrels on some 1903A3 rifles). There is no point in replacing an issue barrel unless it no longer shoots well.

BTW - The Albatross is a real seabird. In Coleridge's poem, "Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner", a young sailor kills one and brings bad luck to his Ship and Crewmates. They hang the Albatross around his neck and set him adrift in a lifeboat to break the curse.

('Hen's Teeth' are rare, two groove barrels and Albatross are not).

bombdog
04-24-2015, 05:58
Two groove barrels were used on many wartime No.4 Rifles. They are not really rare. (Remington used two groove barrels on some 1903A3 rifles). There is no point in replacing an issue barrel unless it no longer shoots well.

BTW - The Albatross is a real seabird. In Coleridge's poem, "Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner", a young sailor kills one and brings bad luck to his Ship and Crewmates. They hang the Albatross around his neck and set him adrift in a lifeboat to break the curse.

('Hen's Teeth' are rare, two groove barrels and Albatross are not).
Roger, trackin, just some of my misguided humor... By the way, i got her in my stable now, and i'll give her some range time soon to see if she'll shoot good enough to compete in our local vintage military shoots... Tango mike guys for all the input...
bombdog, out...

butlersrangers
04-24-2015, 07:22
I hope your two-groove Savage performs well for you.

bombdog
04-25-2015, 01:00
So, no pictures, but range report as follows... Flipped up rear sight, lowered the slide aperture to the bottom, 2, mk III sights,'200 hundred meters' i assume... Fired 3 rounds @ 100yds... Elevation poi was center of target aiming black, windage was 8 inches to the 3:00 pos... Now for group sizes... i fired 3 strings of 3... All were in the same 3:00 area, first group was about 3.5 inches, next was 3 to 3.25... The kicker was the final 3 round group... 1.75 to 2 inches... Didn't have a caliper so i estimated with a dollar bill... i reckon this here wrung out 2 grove albatross barrel won't be being swapped anytime soon... Oh yeah, i was feeding her PPU 174gr fmj's...
Thanks much for all the input gents... You all helped me make the decision to go on and give the guy $25.00 and a $200.00 scope for the trade... No worries ehh mates...
bombdog, out...

butlersrangers
04-26-2015, 08:14
'bombdog' - FYI - WW2 Britain used English Measure (not metric). Your sight graduations are in yards. (Your barrel was proofed in lbs. per square inch in long tons)!

If you wish to 'tweak' your windage, move your front-sight blade opposite the direction you want to move your group. When you look at the front of your front-sight base, you should see a small 'clamping screw' with an odd head. Instead of a slot, the screw head has a raised 'ridge'.

I made a tool by taking an Allen Wrench of appropriate size and slotting the end (of the short leg) with a hacksaw. I enlarged and 'cleaned up' the slot with small files until it tightly fit over the ridge. With the 'clamping screw' loosened, it is easy to drift the front sight blade. Go slow with the sight correction and re-tighten.

I'm glad you are having fun and getting good results. Don't be shooting any Albatross.

bombdog
04-30-2015, 05:53
'bombdog' - FYI - WW2 Britain used English Measure (not metric). Your sight graduations are in yards. (Your barrel was proofed in lbs. per square inch in long tons)!

If you wish to 'tweak' your windage, move your front-sight blade opposite the direction you want to move your group. When you look at the front of your front-sight base, you should see a small 'clamping screw' with an odd head. Instead of a slot, the screw head has a raised 'ridge'.

I made a tool by taking an Allen Wrench of appropriate size and slotting the end (of the short leg) with a hacksaw. I enlarged and 'cleaned up' the slot with small files until it tightly fit over the ridge. With the 'clamping screw' loosened, it is easy to drift the front sight blade. Go slow with the sight correction and re-tighten.

I'm glad you are having fun and getting good results. Don't be shooting any Albatross.
Not me brother, i won't even be hunting those things, lol... Anyway, thanks for the info on the sight adjustments... i did read in one article about the special tool for the front sight adjustment... i did enjoy shooting 'molly' (female mule)... Did i mention a female mule can kick??? So i'm a puss not a brit soldier from the battle of North Africa... Those men were tough...
Again, thanks guys for the help... Keep em in the X ring...
bombdog, out...