PDA

View Full Version : About 120 rounds through her since Feb

Sportsdad60
04-17-2015, 01:34
I've been going out pretty consistently and shooting about 20 rounds through my 1873 (1879) .45-70 trapdoor each week. I purchased this piece from a friend who's father owned it since the 1950s. The paper trail says it ended up as a shipment to the Oregon National Guard sometime in mid 1880 and eventually found it's way up to Tacoma where my buddy's dad bought it in the 50's.

Please correct any of my assumptions below.

As many of you know, the ballistic trajectory of a .45-70 is equivalent to that of a potato gun as can be seen in this graph below.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/96/.45-70vs.308.svg

I take notes each time when messing around.

Using low pressure "Cowboy" rounds with a 405 grain solid lead bullet, these have a velocity of around 1400 fps.

So the day after I cooked my fingers 2 weeks ago (long story about messing around with old fireworks with the kids back by the firepit) I went out and had my best day yet.

I do have to adjust and shoot low, the picture shows my aim point in the red circle.

This target was set at 100 yards and I needed to group 3 in the first 5 shots within 3" of center to qualify for the 200 yard range (easy to do with scopes, not so easy with a potato gun!)
RSO qualified me with my first 4 shots.

I continued on shooting at the same target at 100 yards experimenting and I now know the sweet spot in the Buffington sights. It's LOW.

I was playing with the wind-age adjustment on the Buffington sights and a half crank CC moves the mark to the right (I was aiming dead center of target) as indicated by two shots in the upper left quadrant.
The two high shots are where they land if I shoot dead on bullseye.

And the red circle I photo-shopped in is the sweet spot to hit close or dead on center at 100 yards.

I have no excuse for the lower right shot. I think that was near the end of the shooting.

Sportsdad60
04-17-2015, 01:41
Oh, one more thing, I used some Renaissance wax to protect the stock. I hope that didn't do anything to the value of the rifle...just wax, no sanding! :)

Major Tom
04-18-2015, 03:50
Now that's what I call having a fun with a trapdoor. Good job!

CJCulpeper
04-18-2015, 09:49
Oh, one more thing, I used some Renaissance wax to protect the stock. I hope that didn't do anything to the value of the rifle...just wax, no sanding! :)

Wax on the wood?! Another ruined and worthless rifle. *sigh* Send it me and you will never have to face the world again with such a thing. wink, wink.

How do I find a good shooter like that? I can only imagine the fun you are having with it. Keep the good reports coming. Do you load your own ammo or is it store bought?

Good shooting to you,

Culpeper

Sportsdad60
05-01-2015, 07:39
Wax on the wood?! Another ruined and worthless rifle. *sigh* Send it me and you will never have to face the world again with such a thing. wink, wink.

How do I find a good shooter like that? I can only imagine the fun you are having with it. Keep the good reports coming. Do you load your own ammo or is it store bought?

Good shooting to you,

Culpeper
Sorry so late in reply, on business travel. And thank you.
I do not reload my own but I plan to. I will retire between 2 and 4 years from now so I am saving all my brass.
I am shooting Powder River low pressure loads, they run about $1.65 a piece if bought in 100.

http://www.powderrivercartridge.com/Bulk-45-70-Gov-t-p/4570t405-100.htm

Sportsdad60
05-01-2015, 07:45
One thing I do notice is that in the back of the breech when opening up the trapdoor, after about 20 rds I have some unburnt powder collecting by the firing pin wall. Not sure if that is normal. I will take a picture next time and show you what I mean.

I simply swab it out with a cotton swab before I begin cleaning it after each use.