PDA

View Full Version : Found a type 99

Derrick R.
04-15-2015, 03:23
I have come across this rifle at a pawn shop.I am really not that versed in prices on these so that is my question.
The rifle is in overall about 80% condition, it is all numbers matching that I could see. It has the dust cover, AA wings on the rear sight, cleaning rod , original leather sling, and a hooked quillion bayonet with the leather frog. Also has the original monopod.Looks like a very complete bring back rifle. They are asking $1000 for this rifle.
Good or bad price ?
Thanks Derrick

Deano41
04-15-2015, 04:28
It sounds like you know what to look for. There are many variables. What is the arsenal and series number (the serial numbers, 1 to 100,000, are repeated in each series). Is the stock original finish, not sanded? If the leather sling is original, it should be pretty stiff (Swedish slings are known to be used to trick buyers). Is the dust cover matching (should have the same last three numbers of the serial number)? Look for proof marks on the monopod. Bayonets are going for around $100, depending on maker and condition.

dave
04-16-2015, 05:37
The most important question, is the mum ground? Except for a bunch imported in the 90's from China (these generally were junk) all jap rifles were bring backs. The hooked bayo's are scarse at shows in MI and asking is 125 up. But a 1000 dollars is way to much in my book! Even with a mum!

psteinmayer
04-16-2015, 07:38
My Toyo Kogyo Series 31 has the AA sight, action cover, chrome bore, monopod... The whole shebang, including the mum. It had a duffle cut stock (which I've repaired), but is otherwise in excellent condition. I only paid $350 for it. I also have a Nagoya bayonet with the hooked quill that I paid $75 for at the Michigan Antique Arms Show. They always have plenty of T99 and T38s at that show... along with lots of parts, including bayonets.

I agree... $1000 is way too much!

dave
04-20-2015, 05:06
Novi show is coming up---do you get a table or just a walk around? I used to have table but little left I want to sell. I try to never miss that show, been a member since 98 or so. I am from Durand, altho I live out of town. Too bad we could not meet!

psteinmayer
04-20-2015, 05:43
I always just walk around. I'll be stopping by on Sunday. I have a CMP match at Kalamazoo on Saturday, where I'm going to compete with my Toyo Kogyo Series 31 T-99 in Vintage. I have a couple close friends that will have a table though... always near the back. There's always plenty of Arisaka stuff at the Novi MAAC shows! I'll most likely be there around noon. If you see a guy wearing a USS Ranger Cruise Jacket, that will be me... Grab me and say hello!

dave
04-21-2015, 05:10
I always go on Sat. (free parking)! By Sun. all the good stuff is gone, hehehe! What do your friends mostly have on table? My last name is Davis.

psteinmayer
04-21-2015, 03:53
Hi Davis,

His name is Chuck and they usually have all kinds of different stuff. Always at least a couple Krags. He's known on this and other forums as Butlersrangers. Good friend of my dad and mine. The other guy is Rick, and my dad knows him pretty well too!

butlersrangers
04-23-2015, 07:33
Paul: I have a commitment on Saturday and Dick is Shooting on Sunday. We are not doing a table at this MAAC show. I will just be walking around the Show on Sunday. - Chuck

psteinmayer
04-24-2015, 02:31
Well, I may see you on Sunday. I'm shooting at Kalamazoo tomorrow, but I'm hoping to sneak away to the show on Sunday!